Chapter two

Trigger warnings include mentions of child abuse.

✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵

At that moment I'm glad I had on my hoodie and sweats because it was so cold. I shivered before taking another look around. I spot my backpack, sleeping bag and my other bag on the ground. I go to stand but then my eyes catch on a little girl who couldn't be more than eleven. She was wailing into her knees that she had pulled against her chest. I take my open bag of gummy worms and approach her.

"Hey." I whisper.

She jumps at my voice before looking at me as she quickly wipes away her tears. "Who are you?" She asks, her voice raspy from sobbing.

"I'm Lexie. Who are you?"

"Feyre."

"What are you doing out here all alone Feyre?"

"I have to hunt for my family since we fell into poverty. The debaters came three years ago and shattered my father's knee so he can't do anything. I took a life. I took the bunny's."

"I'm so sorry. Can I hug you?" Feyre nods and I pull her to me. "It's ok. It's ok." I whisper into her hair.

After sitting in the snow for a while Feyre pulls away. Her eyes catch on my gummy worms. "What's that?"

"Oh this?" I ask as I pick up the bag. "These are gummy worms. Do you want one?"

"Can I eat it?"

"You...you've never had gummy worms before?"

"I've never even heard of them."

"You can eat them. Here." I say as I place one in her hand. I take one of my own and toss it into the air as I tilt my head up to catch it in my mouth.

Feyre giggles before eating hers. Her eyes widen. "They're so good. Can I have another one?"

"Sure." I say as I offer her the bag.

She takes a small handful of them before starting to eat. We sit in a comfortable silence as we snack. Feyre sighs as she stands up.

"I should probably get going. My family needs me. I'll see you again?" She asks as she picks up a dead rabbit I haven't noticed before.

"I don't know. I ran away from home. My parents don't have that good of a relationship with me." I said as I stood on wobbly legs.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"No, no. It's not your fault." I say as I pick up my bags. They unstable me a bit so I take a few steps to get used to the weight.

"You're limping." Feyre says as she stares at my injured leg. "Did they do that to you?"

"I don't like talking about it. You'd think that parents would care more for their children. It's fine though. I might just stay here and sleep under the trees."

"You'd be too close to the Wall."

That's when it hits me. "How old are you?"

"Fourteen. Why."

"I was just wondering. I'm eighteen. I win." I say with a proud look on my face.

"Not exactly. My sister, Nesta, is eighteen."

"Is her birthday in the winter because I turn nineteen on Winter Solstice."

"No way! My birthday is Winger Solstice too!"

"Really? Oh my god! Birthday buddies!"

We both squeal.

"So you have no where else to go, right?" Feyre asks after a moment of silence.

"Yeah. I'm all alone now, I guess."

"You can live with me and my family."

"No, no. I couldn't. I wouldn't want to make it harder for you and your family's survival."

"Trust me. It'll be fine. Come on. Our cottage is this way." Feyre said before leading me away to what I would call my home for the next five years.

✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵

Chapter two is out now!

I'll be mentioning Azriel x oc fics at the end of every chapter that you can check out. I love "The Prophecy" by @tadaguru

Drink water and eat healthy!