Chapter one

Includes trigger warnings for mentions of child abuse

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

I limp back to my bedroom, if a closet can even be called that, before locking the door behind me. I limp over to my dresser and pull out the first aid kit. I already ran out of ointment and bandages but it still has a rag and bottle of water. I use the cloth to clean up the large and deep cut on my thigh before wrapping one of my spare shirts tightly around it to stop the bleeding.

No more. I tell myself. I'm leaving tomorrow instead of going to school. I'll pack tonight and run tomorrow. Well, more like limp.

I take all my school supplies out of my backpack carfully before grabbing my stuff I want to bring with me. I start by putting enough clothes for a week in there. Next I grab a toothbrush and toothpaste. I get my hair brush and put it in before I finally get my favorite and only possession: A Court Of Thorns And Roses. I carfully place it in before grabbing an extra bag and zipping it up. I shove all my school supplies under my bed before laying down. I don't sleep at all that night.

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

In the morning I brush my teeth with a spare toothbrush and change into a hoodie and sweats even though it's ninty degrees. I limp my way downstairs with my backpack slung over my shoulder. I'm almost at the door before I freeze in my tracks when I hear my mother's voice.

"Alexis, come here." She demanded.

I swollowed the lump in my throat before masking my way into the kitchen where my parents were seated at the table. "What is it mother?" I ask quietly.

"I need you to get groceries after school. And then you have an appointment at three with the man from last week." She said as she held out two hundred dollars. "The grocery list is on the fridge."

I lowered my head as I took the money and the list from the fridge. I didn't bother with goodbyes as I walked out the door. I start walking the path to my school but instead of taking a right, I go left; towards the market. I entered the Walmart and started for the camping area.

I grabbed a water purifier and a traveling safe and put it in my shopping cart. I got a solar powered lantern and a sleeping bag before moving onto the archery area. I grabbed a nice wooden bow and a quiver of arrows. I made my way to the deli section. I get a few pounds of sliced turkey before heading off to the candy aisle. I've only ever had a few gummy worms when I was three and my mom was livid when she found out. I never touched candy again. But this time she couldn't stop me. I grabbed about ten bags of gummy worms and dropped them in my cart. As I was making my way to the checkout I stopped when my eyes caught on the book section. I made my way over there to where I saw the full series of A Court Of Thorns And Roses. I grabbed the second and third book. I walk over to the checkout and pay. I got eleven dollars of change back and put it in my pocket.

I grabbed my extra bag out of my backpack and put my new stuff in it. I walked out and made for the park. As I walked through the gates I was greeted by a large stretch of green grass and a few trees. A artificial river cut through the area with a wooden bridge spanning over it in an arch. I limped over to the bridge before carfully climbing underneath. Under the bridge there was a little cave hidden from view. I climbed inside and set down my bags. I fell on my butt and leaned up against the wall.

I can't believe I've finally done it. I thought as I pulled out my gummy worms. I took a bag and put the rest in my traveling safe with my books. Will mom and dad worry when they realize I'm gone? I closed my eyes trying to convince myself that they won't care if I was safe. They only care that they can't use my body to gain profit. I squeeze my eyes together tighter as bright light starts to seep through my eyelids, making everything red. Just when the light becomes unbearable it disappeared.

I crack open one of my eyes and gasp. I'm no longer in the cave but now in a snowy tundra.

✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵

First chapter is out! Let me know what you think with comments and a star! Stay safe and eat healthy!

Go check out another Azriel x oc fic that I'm loving, "midnight black" and "crimson red" by thelolastories