𝟬𝟱. meddle about

CHAPTER FIVE
you leave them all behind

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐀 horde of those things definitely has a difference on whether you can fight them or you just have to run. In the narrow space of the carriages, it was almost hard to fight them. But they kept going, doing what the pregnant lady's husband said, and that was to keep in line. He led the small group, followed by the businessman, then Dabin, and lastly Yong-guk who was more than prepared to protect the girl from anything that wanted to harm her.

     They fought them like their lives depended on it. Well, it did. But they used their strength like it was their last day on Earth.

     Dabin didn't hold back. There wasn't any reason to hold back anyway. These people were already gone. They wanted to kill them. Make them turn the way they were. To flesh-eating monsters with no preference. They were no longer humans. Dabin constantly reminded herself with every swing of her bat.

     These people used to have lives. They probably had loved ones waiting for them somewhere in the world. Just like they were. But this was survival of the fittest, and Dabin had been strong enough to survive the first wave. They all had been. Dabin wasn't sure just how long she could go on with all this fighting and dying and running. It all seems so endless.

     The younger ones watched out for the rear while the two men pushed for the front so they could get to the other carriage. They looked out for each other's back but the flesh-eating things just didn't seem to stop. So it was a relief when they managed to get to the other door and away from those monsters.

     They kept going. Then Yong-guk froze up when he entered their former carriage. Dabin stepped beside him, watching familiar faces turn around to look at them. Only this time they didn't look so human and their eyes were milky white and drained out of life. Their varsity jackets had speckles of blood over them and their faces weren't any better. The moment they realized they were there━the monsters who were once their friends were out to get them.

     "Move," The man said when he noticed his hesitance. Yong-guk didn't protest either as he cowered in the corner like a little kid.

     With utmost dread, she began to fight them off with the bat that one of them probably owned. Dabin tried her best but even she couldn't lie that her stature was smaller compared to these guys. They were stronger, powerful, and there were a lot of them.

     When she thought she was about to get bitten like the rest of them, a bat came in contact with the thing's head. Her wide eyes shot toward the person and found Yong-guk standing over her with his bat raised. He might have been scared of hurting his friends, but he wasn't going to let her become one of them. He might've not known her longer than any of them but she'd saved him in ways he didn't even know he could be saved.

     Before they could help the others, the train suddenly went through another tunnel and darkness basked the carriage. Dabin paused, glancing over in Yong-guk's direction with confusion all over her dirty face.

     They stopped harassing them. The flesh-eating men froze and began searching in the darkness like they couldn't actually see them. Dabin took notice of it. The duffle bag in the upper compartment suddenly spilled out a bunch of baseballs, and they abruptly turned toward the noise as if it attracted them. The businessman seemed to have noticed it too and tried to get their attention by knocking on the wall farther away from them.

     Then he sent the younger kids a nod. They quickly made their way to the other end of the carriage, but as soon as the light came on, they became aware again and ran for them. Thankfully, they'd made it just fine and the husband closed the door before they could enter.