Next was James, who also started taking off his shirt. I noticed Lily admiring him in the way she always did where she thought she was being discreet but the only person she was hiding her awe from was James himself. I turned to Regulus, about to point it out to him, when I found him also admiring my brother. I'd had a bit to drink, I knew that, but I also knew what admiration looked on him, and as he stared at my brother's bare chest I saw that same admiration on his face.

I elbowed him in the side and he cursed, looking at me questioningly before I vigorously pointed at James.

"Not my fault good looks run in your family," he muttered.

I gaped at him. "You think my brother looks good?"

Panic flashed across Regulus's face as he seemed to realise what he'd said. "No, that's not what I meant-"

"You have a crush on my brother," I sobbed, covering my face with my hands.

"No, that was only in third year I swear-" Regulus started before stopping, clamping a hand over his mouth in horror.

My mouth was hanging open, hands going to my heart as I stared at my cheating, lying boyfriend. "What? You had a crush on my brother? My brother? Why? Do you just have an obsession with the Potter family?"

"No, that's not it-" Regulus interjected.

I gasped. "My mum!"

Regulus looked momentarily confused. "What? What do you mean your mum?"

"You're in love with my mum," I wailed, once again covering my face in shame. How could my boyfriend do this to me? How could he be in love with my mother? Was I only a second choice, because he couldn't have my mum? I was heartbroken.

"Is everything okay here?" it was James, who had heard the commotion I was making and had come over to check up on me. Before Regulus could say anything I spoke first, knowing James deserved to know the truth.

"Regulus is gonna fuck our mum," I sobbed.

James stood there, staring at me with a mix of confusion and horror. I understood what he was feeling, I hadn't believed it to begin with either, but it was true. Regulus was in love with our mother and was just using me to seduce her.

James's gaze went to Regulus, who was quick to lie to him about what I just said. "Y/n's just drunk. Everything's fine."

James stared at him for a second longer before nodding slowly and getting the fuck out of there while I was still sobbing, unable to cope with the fact my boyfriend didn't love me. Regulus sighed and pulled me into a hug, wrapping his arms around me as he quietly assured me he didn't want to sleep with my mum or brother and that I was the only person in the whole world he wanted to be with.

That made me feel significantly better, as well as the water he gave me. For the rest of the day I drank non alcoholic drinks, slowly but surely sobering up bit by bit. A few hours after my outburst I was feeling much better and was observing my friends while Regulus laid in my lap, one of my hands playing with his hair.

James and Lily were sitting together, talking quietly with one another, and I made the prediction that they'd get together next year. There was obviously chemistry between them, but Lily seemed hesitant to confess her feelings, and James was an oblivious idiot so he wouldn't notice she liked him even if she kissed him on the mouth.

Marlene and Dorcas were in the water together, swimming leisurely side by side as they talked about who knew what. Mary and Peter were playing a game of chess that Peter had brought with him, with Pandora spectating, and from the way Mary was scowling, Peter seemed to be winning. Remus and Sirius were up in a tree together, holding hands as Sirius leant his head on Remus's shoulder while Remus stared at him with such adoration I didn't even know existed until I saw them look at each other.

I turned to Regulus whose eyes were closed as he laid in my lap, breathing easy, and smiled myself. He was so special. I'd never met anyone like him, and I knew I never would. He was one of a kind, and I considered myself the luckiest girl in the world to be able to call him mine. I loved him, a love so strong I'd only believed it existed in fairy tales, yet as I stared at him I knew that was wrong. I loved him, and I knew he loved me just as much.

"You're staring," Regulus murmured, cracking his eyes open to look at me.

I twirled a strand of his hair around my finger. "Am I not allowed to stare at my boyfriend?"

Regulus sat up, turning around to face me. "You are, but it's gonna cost you."

I raised my eyebrows. "Cost me what?"

Regulus smiled. "This."

He leaned forward, pressing his lips against mine softly as he reached up to rest his hand against the back of my neck. I couldn't help but smile into the kiss, leaning in further as my hands went to his shoulders.

"Do you have to do that in front of us?" James complained. Regulus and I pulled back and I shot a dirty look at my brother. "What? I don't want to see that!"

"You know, if they got married-" Mary started.

My eyes widened in alarm. "Um, can we not talk about marriage? We haven't been together that long."

Regulus stared at me questioningly. "You don't want to get married?"

I glanced at him distractedly. "Of course I want to marry you, but preferably not while we're still in school."

Regulus full out grinned, the expression catching me off guard. I stared at him and the delight radiating off of him. "What did I miss?"

"You said you wanted to marry me," he said.

"Yeah, because you asked-"

Regulus shook his head. "I didn't ask if you wanted to marry me. I just asked if you wanted to get married at all."

I stared at him, surprised. "Oh. Well... yeah, I do want to marry you one day."

Regulus grinned and brought me in for a kiss, one James ruined once again.

"Woah, woah, woah, hold your horses there," James said, concerned. "You don't need to get married. I mean, like-"

"If they got married, you and Sirius would be brothers in a legal sense," Mary finally finished.

James went quiet, eyes widening at the realisation before looking up at Sirius in the tree, who was looking right back at him in wonder.

"I am significantly less repulsed of the idea of you two getting married," James eventually said.

"I second that," Sirius called down from the tree.

I rolled my eyes and mouthed a thank you to Mary who just grinned at me. I was pretty sure this was the final stage, and that both boys had just fully accepted Regulus as one of their own. I stared at Regulus who was looking up at his brother, his eyes a tad wet, and knew he realised the same thing as I did. I squeezed his hand and he looked at me, slowly smiling before resting his head on my shoulder.

Everything was finally as it should be.

A/N:

i honestly love this chapter

its just so cute and i love it