Chapter 22

Tuesday 25th November, 1976

I didn't talk to Regulus much after that. I tried avoiding him as much as I could, a complete switch to how it was a few days ago. Regulus, in turn, seemed determined to appear everywhere I went. It was infuriating.

He was infuriating.

Prefect duty last night had been mostly silent. Regulus had attempted to start a conversation once, but when I gave him short, one word answers his expression soured and he stayed silent the rest of the night.

I felt bad. I did. It was just so complicated, because I had these strange feelings that I didn't understand and needed to get rid of, and the only way I knew how was to run from them. Which in turn meant running from Regulus.

It was Wednesday, and the prank was coming up in a few days. I'd decided I would prank the marauders with Regulus, because the prank wasn't just about working with Regulus and the marauders certainly had it coming. So, if that meant I had to spend a bit more time with Regulus then so be it.

I was at breakfast, eating my cereal when both Remus and Sirius reached for the same piece of toast at the same time. They're hands brushed and Remus pulled away instantly, his face going red as he mumbled to Sirius that he could have it.

"No, no, Moony you take it," Sirius said firmly.

"Padfoot, it's fine, really," Remus muttered, embarrassed.

Sirius shook his head, eagerly taking the piece of toast and putting it on Remus's plate. "I insist. You take it."

Remus rolled his eyes, but there was a small smile on his face as he started buttering his toast. Sirius looked on proudly and I sighed, annoyed at how oblivious they both were. I remembered the plan I'd formed weeks ago, the one I was going to do before Mulciber caught me. Now was the perfect time to put that plan into action. I remembered Regulus's words about it, how it needed some fixing up, but I figured it was good enough as it was.

"I'm gonna go to class early," I stated, getting up.

There was a chorus of 'okays' and 'see yous' as I left the Gryffindor table, heading to my first class, Defence Against the Dark Arts. I got there early, before the teacher, and put my plan into action. I cast spells on a desk, knowing that that desk was the one Sirius and Remus always sat on together. The aim was to get them into detention together, alone, and this would definitely do the trick.

I left the classroom and waited outside for the bell to ring. When it did, there was a flurry of activity as students filed into the classroom. As predicted, Sirius and Remus headed for their usual table and sat down.

There was a large exploding sound as glitter and confetti burst from their seats, raining down on the rest of the classroom. There were many wide eyes and open jaws as people stared at the scene, as well as many laughs. The Slytherin's in the classroom seemed to find it the funniest though, laughing and snickering with one another as they pointed at Sirius and Remus.

I glowered. That was definitely not the intended result, and I was about to get out of my chair when James, Lily, Marlene, Mary and multiple other Gryffindors all did, standing next to Remus and Sirius, the latter who was standing slightly in front of Remus, as if to shield him from the insults.

"That is enough!" our teacher barked. "I am sick of this class being interrupted by this rivalry between Gryffindor and Slytherin. All of you-" the teacher pointed at the group of Slytherin's that had been making fun of Sirius and Remus. "-detention. And all of you- "he rounded on the Gryffindors that had come to Remus and Sirius's aid, my friends included. "-detention as well. Your two head of houses will be hearing about this, mark my words. Now, get back in your seats, all of you!"