Chapter 1

Dipper's Journal #3

June 15, 2022

Our trip was a success.

Me, Charlie, and Katie spent days surveying Champion Lake for any sign of Champion, the local sea monster legend. It was the latest mystery that we were looking to add to our documentary about weirdness. It was also one of the more well-known mysteries that we could investigate. We already spent days in the Maryland wilderness looking for signs of the Veiled Witch, only to come up dry. I guess you shouldn't trust amateur footage shot by college students.

So, this seemed like a logical next step. There were more reported sightings of Champion, so the three of us thought we would have a better chance of seeing him.

For the first few days, we couldn't find anything. We sailed to all corners of the lake in an old and rusty fishing boat. We tried everything we could to find any signs of life, but we kept turning up nothing.

That is, until today.

Just as we were about to pack up and head back to shore, we all felt a strange wave hit our boat. We initially thought nothing of it, but then it happened again, then again, and again. It was happening too many times for it to just be something normal.

That's when we saw it; a shadow under the water. Champion was finally making his presence known. I immediately grabbed my camera and started filming. He wasn't getting that close to us. It looked like he was just trying to get a look at us.

However, the longer we did this, the closer he seemed to get. Katie started getting worried we were getting a little too close, and even Charlie was started echoing the same. I initially thought he wouldn't actually try anything, until he caused a much bigger wave that nearly capsized us. That's when I saw that he was starting to get mad. I agreed and we started quickly preparing to head back.

It wasn't until I saw terrified faces on both Charlie and Katie that I turned and saw Champion, rising out of the water, staring back at us. His glowing yellow eyes shined through the foggy air, along with his sharp, white teeth. He snarled at us, clearly expressing that he was not happy we were there.

That was enough for us to get the picture.

Charlie started the engine and basically put it into overdrive. We were speeding through the water while Champion followed us. During this entire experience, I was taken back to a similar monster hunt I was on when I was a kid. Only this time, I wasn't desperate to get a shot. This time, I was just trying to make sure we got back to the shore.

And we did. Once we made it back towards the dock, Champion stopped and just stared before turning around. I guess he wasn't really interested in hurting us. He just wanted us to get out of his territory.

Once we got over the initial fear of being chased by a giant monster, the three of us felt that rush of excitement. We all celebrated the fact that we just escaped certain death, and that we got some great footage as well. It was another great addition to our documentary. Now, we just need one more mystery to finish...

Huh, I just got a text message from Mabel. She says that she needs to talk to me about something. I guess its a good thing we're done here. So, back to Los Angeles. Hopefully everything is OK.