ONE

LEIGHTON
35 portland row

I sat on Lockwood's bed, I had been waiting for him since he burned down the house on Sheen Road, that I was staying in. His new colleague had messed up, taking the ring from Annabel's corpse.

Couldn't exactly tell you what took him so long to get home. But George hadn't noticed that I'd snook in through the living room window, gone to the kitchen to make myself some toast and then went up to Lockwood's room.

"Leighton." Lockwood nodded once he opened the door to his bedroom.

I couldn't help but chuckle, wondering if he saw the note on the table cloth telling him that he needs to stop leaving windows unlocked or if he just sensed that I was in his bedroom.

"It's been a long day, is it important?" He hung up his blazer and undid the top button of his shirt. His eyes flickered over to me, Lockwood allowed his eyes to travel up my bare legs, wetting his bottom lip as he did so.

"Wouldn't be here unless I had to be, Anthony." I reminded him. Lockwood hissed at his name, shaking his head with a small breathless chuckle. I knew that he hated being called Anthony. "You burnt down the only safe place I had to stay."

"You were staying at Sheen Road?" Lockwood sat on the edge of the bed. He lifted my feet and placed them on his lap, his hands resting on my ankles.

I hummed in response, standing up, mainly to put some distance between us, but that didn't stop his eye from following me. If I didn't put distance between us, I knew I would want to stay. It always happened.

I pursed my lips, looking around the bedroom, no matter the time since I last saw Lockwood, the one thing I could count on was his house never changing. It had the same decorations since his parents were around.

"Yep." I nodded. "And your new little colleague, she took something she shouldn't have." I let go of a deep breath. "I need it back, I was connecting with her, with Annabel. I need it and soon."

I turned to look at the boy. Lockwood had his head resting in his hands as he listened to me talk. It felt weird seeing him again, I'd not seen him in months.

"Then I'll be out of your hair." I pulled my lips into a tight smile.

"You're listening again?" He stood up, taking a step closer to me, his hand extended. My eyes flickered down to his hand and then back to his brown eyes with raised brows.

He cleared his throat and allowed his hand to drop to his side. Lockwood hummed, waiting for me to answer.

"Well, they don't really give me a choice." I half heartedly chuckled. "Anyways, where's the girl?"

Lockwood stood in front of the door, preventing me from exiting. I let go of a laugh. Did he really think he could stop me?

"I'll show you to Lucy tomorrow, but first-" Lockwood pointed to the bed, a toothy smile making its way to his face. "You sleep."

"I'm good." I scrunched up my nose, tapping his chest and moving him out of the way. I swung open the door.

I didn't even make it into the hallway before Lockwood's hand wrapped around my mouth, preventing me from letting out a loud squeal, his other hand around my waist as he pulled me back into his room and shut the door.

"Leave everyone be, Leighton. It's been a long day, they need the rest." Lockwood paused. "You need the rest." He removed his hand from around my mouth.

I looked up at him submissively through my lashes, my lips parted. I rested my head against the wall and let out a small sigh. I didn't want to have to wait till the morning. Annabel wouldn't talk to me then, and I was so close to a break through.

"I can't sleep, Lockwood. She's here, I feel her." I paused, noticing the way his eyes softened. "And she won't let me sleep, not till I've figured it out."

"She's not here, Leigh." He reached up and tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear, his finger trailing down my jaw, his thumb twanging on my bottom lip. "Please, just get some sleep."

I knew that my eyes were bloodshot and my skin pale was giving away the fact that I hadn't slept in days. But I didn't expect him to care or even notice.

"You'll be here, right?" I whispered, my voice cracking ever so slightly.

Lockwood nodded, turning to his abundance of shirts and passing once to the me. I stared at him blankly as one of his signature smirks made its way onto his face. He placed his hands up in defence and let go of a small laugh as he said,

"I'm turning around."

I brought up Lockwood's shirt to my nose, inhaling the familiar scent of musk and pine. I waited a moment before removing my clothes and pulling on the white button down shirt.

Instead of saying anything, I just climbed into his bed and then cleared my throat, making him turn around. Lockwood smiled at me, before flicking off the lights and climbing into bed beside me.

"Remember when we used to have sleepovers as kids?" I asked, placing my hands under my head as I turned to face him. From the little bit of light in the room, I could faintly make out his features and the fact that he was shirtless, something I wasn't expecting. "We used to stay up all night talking about how we were going to become the best ghost hunters in the world."

Lockwood let go of a laugh,

"How childish we were."

"I'd like to say optimistic." I whispered, shuffling closer to the boy, not only for warmth but safety. "I can still hear her, Lockwood. I can still feel her."

"I'll stay awake, to protect you." Lockwood joked, making me hum in response. "Just get some sleep."

socials
instagram ~ vxidcameron & em.newmann
snapchat ~ emilynewman1234
tik tok ~ thesaintsseries & leeandhan