"They're... struggling," Mary eventually said. "They're angry about the fact that you're dating Regulus of all people, but also because you kept it a secret from them. There was also a falling out between Remus and Sirius because Sirius found out Remus already knew."

I felt shit. I hated that Remus and Sirius were in a fight because of me. I had asked Remus not to tell anyone about Regulus and I, and now he was suffering because of it. I felt like I'd done everything wrong, like I was to blame for every bad thing that had happened since they found out.

"Are they on speaking terms?" I questioned, dreading the answer.

Marlene chuckled, though, surprising me. "Of course they are. Their too co-dependent to stay mad at one another for long, even though it was a very messy fight. Things are still a little tense between them, but they'll get better over time."

I nodded my head, relieved that they'd made up. I knew there would still be resentment brewing between them until they got over the fact I was dating Regulus, so I could only hope that that point came sooner rather than later.

After lunch, I was walking through the hallways to my next class when I just so happened to bump into the marauders. My heart dropped as I saw them and my anxiety spiked. I hadn't been in close quarters to them since the fight yesterday, and I wasn't eager to repeat it.

"Y/n," James said through gritted teeth.

Yeah, he was definitely still mad.

"James," I said. "Sirius."

The other boy who had seemed intent on giving me the silent treatment suddenly spoke, his chest heaving from the barely controlled anger he was feeling. "Was this what Narcissa had been talking about in Diagonally? I'd gone over her words in my head a million times, confused as to what she meant, but now everything makes perfect fucking sense. He was moping because you'd broken up, because he had been engaged to someone else. And the letters I saw that had my family crest? You lied to me every time, making me feel like I was crazy, like my mother was still there, like I could never escape her, because I here I was, seeing her crest on things that weren't there. But I was right, and you lied to me! You lied to me Y/n! Lied to us!"

"Because of what you're doing right now," I yelled back, furious. Here he was, trying to make me feel guilty for hiding my relationship when they were the reason I had to. Did they even care how hard it was for me to keep it from them? To know that the people most important in your life wouldn't accept who you loved? No, they only cared about themselves and what they were feeling. "Look at you! Trying to make me feel bad for being in love? Who does that? Certainly not the person who was supposed to be your brother!"

I saw the chance to be cruel right in front of me, taunting me. I knew I'd regret it later on, and I knew it would carve him deep in his heart, but I didn't care. At that moment, hitting him the hardest was my intention.

"But then again, you've never been good at playing brother, have you?" I asked viciously.

I saw the moment Sirius realised I said that. Saw him recoil from me as if I was a stranger. I felt the satisfaction rush through me, making me light headed for a second, before the regret slammed into me, almost making me stumble. What had I done?

"How could you say that Y/n?" James hissed. "How could you be so cruel?"

I didn't look at Sirius as I answered, so I managed to avoid the look of betrayal on his face, because how could someone he loved be so cruel to him? Someone who promised they were not like the rest of his family yet was verbally tearing him apart just like they did.

"Why don't you take a look in the mirror once in a while," I spat. "Then you'd see whose really cruel."

Peter, who had been watching all this unfold silently beside Remus, stepped forward. "Y/n, where are you staying? You didn't go to the Gryffindor Common Room last night. Are you okay?"

I felt a surge of appreciating towards Peter, who, even though I lied to him, still cared about my wellbeing enough to worry if I was safe or not. "I'm fine. I'm rooming with Regulus."

Before the boys could answer, we were interrupted by footsteps and I turned around to find Regulus hurrying towards us. Speak of the devil.

"You," James spat, glaring at Regulus. "You did this. This is all your fault."

Regulus raised an eyebrow, his face blank. "I think you'll find Y/n chose to date me on her own, a decision she was quite capable of making. I didn't do anything." He stopped speaking and let his lips curve into a small smirk. "Well, that's not completely true. I certainly did some things, but nothing you're currently accusing me of."

"You little-"

I stood in front of Regulus before anyone could get their hands on him, glaring daggers and both Sirius and James. "This was my choice, do you understand? Dating Regulus, being with him, it was all my decision. You can't just blame Regulus because you don't like what I've done. We've been dating for four months, and I chose to do that. So don't blame Regulus because you can't handle the fact that I made my own decision regardless of your personal feelings, got it?"

The look of pure hatred on both their faces as they stared at me made it clear they did. I stood there, pretending to be strong, as they stormed off, leaving me behind. I pretended to be strong until they turned the corner, and only then did I allow myself to turn around and sob into Regulus's shoulder, feeling my heart break in two.

A/N:

james and sirius r breaking my heart rn :(

why r they so mean???