The Southside.

We all cherish life , envying immortality but sometimes life reserves us a fate more sad than death. We are broken and then becomes shadows of ourselves no longer resembling anything we used to be , praying death but getting no respite .

Queen's office

She looked sadly through the window at the cloudy sky , it was about to rain . In her hands a letter and on the table a dish containing an apple cake left untouched and a cup of cold tea .

Eva entered with a tray of fruits .

Eva : What is wrong ? You look so sad. Are you still worried because of the duke . It's being more than a month now !

Queen : No , it is not about that ( she says with a low voice )

Eva : What then is wrong ?

Queen : The Southside . Rain caused the rupture of the old bridge and a flood took away the paysans harvest drowning some by the way .

Eva : Lord ! ( she exclaimed with a soft voice ) It is the poorest quarter of Luneria and it residents have already much to do in fighting criminality and opium consumption. And now another curse comes to and to their woes .

Queen : Honestly , l feel  a little guilty . I'm their queen and l live here in shelter , drink and eat to my satiety  yet they starve and die of cold . I wish to do something .

Eva : What do you have in mind ?

Queen : The state has to support them . We shall share drugs , food and clothes . I will order the rebuilding of the bridge , a new one more big and strong to ensure transport. I also wish to go there by myself to see the damages and speak to the population. The need to know the can count on the support of their sovereign . ( she says walking excitedly in the room )

Eva : It's a good idea ! I want to come with you .

Queen : Great . I have to plan all , it's decided tomorrow we are leaving for the Southside !

  - The next day -

Palace Garden

Sir Fedrick : l still think is not a good idea you go to the Southside my queen . That place is not maint for you or any other lady of your rank . It's dangerous !

The southside was the poorest quarter of Luneria with the greatest rate of criminality and opium consumption . It population suffered marginalization and it was feared by everyone because of it reputation of being the benchmark for thieves and prostitutes . It was the center for black market, mercenaries taverns and brothel houses . It was an humiliation to be born there and ones there everyone struggles to escape or became condemned to live as bastards .

Queen : l know all this but I'm still leaving . I have to offer them my help it is my duty as their queen .

Sir Fedrick : But your majesty , let me go on your ...

Queen : No ! I'm going and it is not a demand but an order . If you are scared stay here .

Sir Fedrick :  Then Let me and a delegation of guards accompany you to ensure your security.

Queen : l need no body guards to ensure my protection , but if you or any other is willing to help them then you are welcome.

Sir Fedrick : Your highness ( he bows and takes the head of the battalion )

Eva : Really ?

Queen : What ?

Eva : You are going there in this shoes ?

Queen : What is wrong with my shoes ?

Eva : They are not equipped for the Southside . The area is muddy  , you can go there wearing heels .