|Chapter Fifteen|

Noah's arraignment came and went. The DA tried to offer 20 years in exchange for a second degree murder charge, but my father fought it. He had been pouring over the evidence and details, and said the case was flimsy at best. I wanted to have faith in him, but it's hard to put your trust in someone that's always let you down.

Our dinner was... tense, to say the least. It was the first time we had been in the room together in almost a decade. We didn't say anything to each other for the longest, most awkward time. I was studying the menu diligently, even though we were at one of my favorite places and I always got the same thing. I didn't know what to say to him, and I felt like he had planned this outing and he should be steering the conversation.

It never got less awkward, every time he asked about me or what I had been up to I could feel him judging me. He didn't think I could sustain myself on photography, and he did little to hide his opinion. He never said anything outright rude, but I got the sense he was disappointed in me. I never tried to defend myself, I just let him think I wasn't making any money.

The ending wasn't any better, he went in for a hug and I took a step back. We weren't there yet, we weren't even close to there. He didn't need to update me for the trial, because I would be there every second of it. He did promise his assistant would be calling me to setup another dinner. "Somewhere... nicer," his words.

"You ready for this?" Nick asks. He's here to pick me up for the first day of the trial.

"I don't know, but I'm going to be there regardless," I sigh, slipping my feet into pumps. I hadn't worn heels in years, I note the ache already in my feet and remember why I haven't worn them in so long.

I follow Nick out to his car, it's not a long drive to the court house, but I'm still queasy My stomach is in knots, I was so anxious this morning that I couldn't eat anything. We only get one shot at this or Noah is rotting in jail for the rest of his life.

I'm going to see Noah in person for the first time in over a month. I can't wait to see him, but I wish I could touch him. If I could only have a second to feel him, to remember he's real. Nick and I take our seats right behind my father.

He shakes Nick's hand, but he doesn't know how to greet me. I don't save him, but I don't need to be greeted anyway. I glance around and find Jeslyn, Eric, and Dave sitting with Jackson's mom. The bailiffs have closed the doors to the courtroom and everyone gets quiet. Nick elbows me and I see Noah is being led in.

He's still shackled, he looks tired, but the bruises on his face have healed. His long hair hangs around his shoulders, the orange jumpsuit is an awful color on him and it washes him out. He looks sick. His eyes find mine and he smiles. It's wide and genuine, it's a breath of fresh air to my soul.

"All rise for Judge Holland," we rise and watch as the old man from the bond hearing ambles to the bench. He looks like a hard ass, it's a good thing the jury will decide and not him. "You may be seated," the bailiff says once the judge has sat down and we all sit.

I've see the DA on billboards around town, I can't go on his look alone, but he's not as intimidating as my father.

"Your Honor, members of the jury, my name is Glenn Funk, representing the prosecution in this case," He's smug as he addresses the jury for the opening statement. "the defendant, Noah Sebastian, is on trial for the murder of Jackson Truett. You are here to decide if he is innocent without reasonable doubt. The facts of this case are straightforward, witnesses say that Noah had an altercation right before Mr Truett disappeared before he was discovered to be murdered. For these reasons, after you have heard all the evidence, at the end of this trial we will ask you to return a verdict of guilt for Mr Sebastian."