|Chapter Five|

The moment I've been waiting for finally arrives when I hear Jackson successfully unlock the door, but meets resistance when he gets to the deadbolt. He knocks, a normal knock, but I don't get up to answer it.

He knocks again, and I feel the fear in me rising. He calls my phone, but I've blocked his number and I hear him curse as he registers my number is undeliverable. The banging starts after that. I don't know what I expected, but I know my neighbors are going to hear the commotion and start coming out.

I don't answer the door though.

I've been on my couch, watching my door, praying it doesn't give way. The sounds of a confrontation have me moving closer to the door. I look through the peephole and see Noah has taken it upon himself to diffuse the bomb that is Jackson.

I expect Jackson to yell back a Noah, but he doesn't. He looks scared.

"I'd say the locked door is a sign she's not home, man," Noah says, moving his body between my door and Jackson.

Jackson is seething as he looks at Noah, he doesn't look like he wants to back down, but he eventually does and walks off. Noah heads back to his apartment, and I pray he didn't just make things worse for me.

I'm probably overreacting anyway, I don't think Jackson would hurt me again. It was an accident.

Noah is watching my apartment from his place on his couch just like I'm watching him from my place on my couch. If I don't acknowledge him, he didn't do anything for me. What would I even say? Thanks for getting in my business? No. Fuck that. He shouldn't have inserted himself

And yet, how long would Jackson have tried to get into my apartment if he hadn't interfered? I would have broke down and opened the door to save myself embarrassment.

Let's get out of here, I have an idea - Noah

Isn't your car broken?

Nope, see you in two minutes

I rushed to put a bra on under the old tshirt I was wearing and slip my feet into some shoes before I feel his presence at my door. He doesn't knock, he just waits for me to join him in the hallway. I hesitate at the door before finally pulling it open.

"Ready?" he asks, a lopsided grin on his face.  His face falls as he takes in the bruise on my neck, I forgot to cover it in my haste to get ready. It's too late to turn back now.

"I doubt it," I tell him, but lock my door and follow him to the elevator anyway. "Where are we going?"

"Did you bring your camera?"

"I take it everywhere," I roll my eyes at him and show him my camera just as the elevator opens in the parking garage.

"Fuck," Noah curses before shoving me into the corner of the elevator and hitting the door close button.  I gasp as he covers me with his body.  I feel lightheaded from his proximity.

"What?" I ask, and watch as a sliver of skin shows on his lean stomach as he pulls his hoodie off. He puts it over my head and I push my arms into the sleeves.  I swallow thickly and remember last night.

"Your charming boyfriend is camped out at your car. Put the hood up," he says hitting the door open button and we slip out of the side and Noah leads me to his car. Luckily he's not parked near my car.  Noah ferociously types out a text before starting his car and heading out.

"You hungry?"

"Always," I say, buckling my seatbelt. "Who did you just text?"

Noah raises an eyebrow at me, he's saying who do you think you are to question me without saying as much. I think Noah is dangerous, not for the first time, for a multitude of reasons.  I can't put my finger on what it is about him that makes him feel edgy to me, but I feel the violence that's barely contained in him.