CHAPTER SIX

My date with Dylan is nearly here. At ten to six in the evening, I'm clock-watching at work, counting down the remaining forty minutes of my shift as I collect up empty mugs from abandoned tables.

"You know, staring at the clock isn't going to make time move any faster," Ellie says, amused by my impatience.

"Oh, shush you," I laugh.

"I'm just saying," she replies, holding her hands up in defence. She grabs a few of the empty mugs from me and helps me load them into the dishwasher. "Where are you going to eat?"

"The Lakeside Palace," I inform her. It's my favourite restaurant, a cute little Italian place in the centre of town. They make the best pasta dishes. It's where Dylan and I went on our first date and, since then, it's kind of become a tradition of ours. "We have a reservation for seven."

"Ah, of course," she says with a grin. "You guys are so cute."

"You know, you say that a lot," I tell her, closing the half-empty dishwasher and leaving it to stand.

"That's because it's true," she says with a shrug.

The door to the café opens, the bell signalling the arrival of a new customer. We both watch as Bradley, Andrew, Finn, and Lucas Coleman enter.

I feel my heart plummet, beating erratically fast as I try not to let my unease show. Showing weakness, any kind of weakness, is a big no-no. I take a deep, calming breath as I tell myself that, logically, nothing bad can happen in such a public place.

Still, my hands turn clammy as Lucas heads towards the counter, intending to place an order, whilst the other three move to occupy the same booth as last time.

Ellie – quite conveniently – makes herself scarce. She moves to chat to the family of regulars sitting tucked away at the back of the cafe, not even looking back as she leaves me to deal with the Coleman's alone.

Traitor.

The smile I aim for is far less successful than last time as Lucas stands in front of me, the forced curve to my lips probably appearing more constipated than polite, so I decide to ditch the attempt altogether, my face becoming an impassive mask as I try not to let him see my hands shaking.

Damn, why am I being such a baby all of a sudden?

"Four black coffees," Lucas orders the same as last time. "Large."

I keep quiet as I punch the order into the till, pressing the button for the card machine when I see the blue Barclay's card in his hand. I expect him to pay and leave but, when he doesn't move to tap his card, I have to force myself to look at his face.

His eyes are on my hands; he must've seen them shaking as I used the till. I clench my hands into fists and drop them to my side, out of view behind the counter.

Damn it, Jade! Now he knows you're scared of him.

Lucas doesn't speak so I force myself to.

Clearing my throat, I mutter, "Card machine's ready."

Lucas finally taps his card, the contactless payment beeping its approval, and returns to his brothers without another word, his face a far better impassive mask than my sorry attempt.

When the coffees are ready, I take them over. I square my shoulders as I walk towards the brothers, determined to appear much stronger than I did five seconds ago. When I place the mugs down on the table, I fight the urge to avoid eye contact so hard it's almost painful.

You are not scared of that asshole.

"Is there anything else I can get you?" I ask, praying they say no so I can return to the safety of the counter and ignore them for the rest of my shift.