Chapter 11: The longest day

Hiccup's pov

I look up at the sky, the sun is still high. Of course it is. I look beside me to see Thyra staring at it too. 'I can't believe it's really night.' She says amazed.

I just nod in agreement. I'm so glad she decided to stay after we found Midnight. Midnight had indeed been waiting at the Edge. Kind of funny, first I went to Thyra's island to get my dragon, and now she came to my island to get hers.

She's been living with us for a month now, I'm still mad about what Viggo did, and I can see it had a big impact on her. It doesn't matter how well she can pretend everything is fine, there are just moments I know she's hurting. And it bothers me there's nothing I can do, especially with the lack of sleep.

I get pulled out of my thoughts by my father. 'I love the midnight sun.' He says happily. 'Constant sun for two weeks, our most productive time of the year.' He laughs until he notices two Vikings yelling at each other.

'You're in my way!'

'No, you're in my way!'

He walks away to calm them down and I focus my attention on a sighing Gobbert. 'Aye, the first week. But we're in day eight, when things can start to get a wee bit crazy.'

I look back at my dad, who's trying to prevent the angry Vikings from slicing each other open. Gobbert follows my stare.

'Lack of sleep gets to everybody eventually. Poor Gothi, she's been babbling for days now.'

I look at Gothi, who is drawing in the dirt with her stick. I don't know what it says precisely but I believe it's nonsense.

'And Sven's worn out half of his flock on the dance floor.'

Gobbert points at Sven, who is dancing with his sheep. Thyra chuckles slightly beside me but tries to hide it with a cough. I smirk too. 'Yeah, but that's pretty normal for him.'

Gobbert watches his moves and then nods. 'Yeah, you're right. Bad example.'

'He does have nice moves.' Thyra comments.

Gobbert agrees. 'Aye, but the lack of sleep get's to all of us eventually, even you young ones.'

I smirk. 'That's exactly why I sent the others back to the Edge to do the simplest job possible: Wash their dragons. There is no way they could screw that up.'

Thyra frowns. 'You never know Hiccup, you never know. But there's your dad, you said you wanted to talk to him before we leave?'

I look up to see my dad coming. 'Yeah, yeah I did.'

We quickly follow him to my house but I wait with going inside. 'I'll be quick.' I promise Thyra. She waves me away and yawns. 'Don't bother, you might not fall asleep during the day, but I have a dragon with stars in her wings. It's not day to me, good night.'

I chuckle a little when she ducks beneath Midnight's wings and I watch the duo nuzzle together. I smirk and shake my head before walking in. I sit down at the table to have dinner, not that I plan on eating much.

'Dad, I need to talk to you about something.'

'All right. What's on your mind son?'

I decide to get straight to the point. 'I need to borrow the Auxiliary Dragon Riders. I'll have them back before you even know they're gone.' I tell him quickly.

He finishes his drink and places it down without making eye contact. 'Is that right? And, uh, why would you need to borrow my A-team?'

I widen my eyes, I should have expected that question. I should have prepared an answer. But I didn't, so improvising it is then.