𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐

„Mutating"
by Dirteaz

Dr. Onika Tanya Maraj

November 14th, 2023 New York

I was on the verge of a big breakthrough. I was doing a research on cancer for almost two and a half years. I spent the last six months in my laboratory to find out how to heal my patients.

"Dr Maraj, November 14, 2023 1 PM. I mixed bleomycin and actinomycine together. Testing it on postmortem skin from Oliver Baker tempetare cutis." I said into the dictaphone.

I took an example with the pipette and put it on the postmortem skin looking for a reaction. Waiting felt so long that I was going crazy. If I really found a remedy for cancer, that would be the most biggest thing in the medical history.

"Five minutes passed and nothing happened. Test failed." I ended my recording putting it in my bag.

"How is this possible...skin reacts to these two substances the most. Damn it."

I took the skin and put it under the microscope. As much as I tried to find something, there wasn't anything what I was looking for. I let out a loud breath taking off the medical gloves and throwing them into the trash.

My phone whistled showing me that it was time to pick up my daughter from school so I didn't hesitate and gathered my things locking my laboratory.

| | |

"Hey baby how was school" I asked her as we walked to my car.

She looked up to me and smiled brightly. "It was nice mama, I made friends. Brianna and I are best friends look!" she showed me her arm where she drew a heart.

"We drew that on each other. That means that we're best friends."

"I'm glad baby"

I put her seatbelt on and got into the drivers seat buckling myself.

"Let's get something to eat hm baby girl?" she nodded and started playing with her fingers as I started driving on the streets.

"How was your day mommy?" she questioned me curiously. Like she's an adult.

Aliyah was very mature for her age. She was very intelligent that's why she's already in the third grade. She just understood everything immediately its not like I'm pushing her. I would never. But I can assure that she's having my genes and not her dad ones. Thank god.

"It was okay, I'm just a lil bit tired." I honestly responded. "Are you hungry, should we get some food?"

"Yay! McDonalds!!" she squealed doing a little dance.

I almost wanted to say that "we have food at home" but I knew that it would make her sad and I'm honest, I'm a little bit depressed that my experiment didn't work out so I wasn't feeling like cooking. I'm not a bad mom for that. I take my kid to eat something so please.