12 - WE'RE GOING BROKE

'The business is going under', the words rang in your ears

"What do you mean it's going under?", you ask, though you didn't expect an answer. It was a rhetorical question and you knew what he meant. You were only hoping you had misheard. The only reason you were able to live like this, without worrying about money and other financial aspects, was currently failing. So that was what had him in a bad mood those days ago.

It was only a matter of time, to be honest. Toji took over his father's business after he succumbed to his illness, and as most people knew, he wasn't exactly... fit... to run a business, not that any of this would be said to his face. But being an only child and all, well yeah that was pretty much it. It didn't come as much of a shock though. Soon, you'd probably all be living in a cardboard box somewhere in an abandoned alley. It wasn't your job that was in jeopardy, but it still affected you and your everyday life. You didn't exactly know how to react. "How? What's changed?", you speak again.

Toji still answered your question. "I mean exactly what I said. Fewer people are interested in our services and we're losing money, millions." He takes a sip of his drink before setting his glass back down on the table. "A good amount of our main competitors have been finding new ways to improve in their work, specifically this one company", he continues. "Nanami Hotel & Resorts. I hear they're even thinking of going global and are planning to open up at least five locations in the Americas within the next three years."

Three words popped into your mind. We're going broke. You doubt he only just found out about this recently. Things couldn't get that bad so fast. Or maybe it could. "How long has it been like this?", you ask.

His facial expression showed that he didn't want to tell, but the topic was already out in the open for him to back out. "For how long?", he repeats as if he was stalling the answer."About eight or nine months I believe. I can't remember exactly when, but I'd say about a year now, give or take.

"You knew for this long yet you didn't think to tell me?"

"What could you do, hm? And I knew about it, yes. I thought I could handle it. And I did for a while. The first two or three months weren't anything to be worried about. Up until recently."

You sigh. You couldn't exactly offer any knowledge since you don't know anything about this whole business thing. "What do you plan on doing?"

"I'm not entirely sure. For now, we might have to temporarily shut down some of our locations. Lay off a large number of staff too. But that may lead to lawsuits for wrongful termination, which we can't afford in this case."

"The board is suggesting I let someone else take over temporarily, but I'm not having it. They'll just end up replacing me altogether... Just give me some time, I'll handle it."

You hoped that not only for his, but your sake this was true. You were trusting him on this. For now at least.

💍

Two days passed since then and not much is going on. Erika's still MIA. She hasn't been answering any of your texts, phone calls, or voicemails. You get she may have her reasons but you were starting to get fed up. At least she could let you know she's alright. You were done thinking about that though. If she wanted to reach out, she'd reach out. What you didn't know is you'd be hearing from her sooner than you think.

On other matters, the hotel business. Toji could possibly lose everything he had, and if that happens, so do you. You'd have to go back to living with your mom. If he was still being the piece of shit husband he was months ago, it'd be easier for you to pick up and leave. But you still loved him despite everything and leaving during a time like this probably wouldn't do either of you any good. Marriage isn't something easy to walk away from when things get tough, whether you want to or not, especially with how difficult he was when you first brought up a divorce. Besides, you chose to trust him.

It was somewhat late at night, and you didn't feel like sleeping just yet. "We should watch a movie or something", you tell Toji.

"Sounds good, angel. I gotta take a shower first, though. Find something good. And not one of those corny romantic crap you're always crying over. You know how much I hate that shit."

"Whatever."

He grabs his towel and walks into the en suite bathroom connected to the bedroom. You hear the water running as you look for recommended movies on your phone.

Not too long after, Toji's cell begins to ring next to you on the bed. It could be something important and business-related. "Toji, your phone!"

A familiar number popped up on his phone screen as it rang, which caught your attention.

What the hell...

You set down your phone and pick up his, staring at the number. "You call me?!", Toji's voice shoots back.

You went silent before answering. "Actually no! Nevermind..."

Normally, you wouldn't answer his phone, but just this once, you let your curiosity get the better of you. You click the green button and accept the call. "Hello?"

From the phone came an even more familiar voice. "Hey- Wait, I'm sorry... Y/n? Is that you?"

Your brows furrowed in confusion and you click your tongue. "Erika, why are you calling my husband's phone?"

 "Erika, why are you calling my husband's phone?"