3 - YOU'RE BACK

About three weeks had passed since that day

About three weeks had passed since that day. You hadn't seen Toji at all during that time, but he'd text you to let you know when he was coming for the kids. You just made sure you were never around when he arrived. He was the last person in the world you'd want to see again.

You sat at a cafe table with your best friend Erika, talking and ranting.

"I'm not looking forward to seeing Toji tomorrow."

"Oh, the twins' birthday right? Hard to believe it's already been a year since you had them."

"It feels like it was yesterday I was in a very painful thirteen-hour labor because of a man I should've left alone. Never again." You sigh. "Your time is coming. When did you say your due date was?"

"Mid June. I'm not looking forward to that. I don't know how you did it."

"I don't know either. Oh, by the way, the divorce papers came in the mail this morning."

She hums. "That's good. What are you going to do after the divorce though?", Erika asks taking a sip of her drink.

"I have no idea. I think I'll stay with my mom for now. I'll have to find a job. I've always wanted to be a doctor, or nurse at least but we didn't have the money. Do you think it's too late now?"

"It's never too late. But are you sure that's what you really wanna do?"

"I don't even know anymore. I want something not too time-consuming. I can't even remember what it's like having a real job."

"You're taking this easier than most would. Are you sure you're okay? I know all this must be hard on you."

"I'm as good as I can be. Wasting tears on him isn't worth it."

💍

"You're finally back", Toji says leaning back on the couch as you walked in.

"What, were you waiting for me or something? I did tell you I'd be back for the kids' party."

"I know. I just wasn't expecting you so early."

"Well I have to set up and start getting everything ready because I know you wouldn't do it on your own. By the way, I need you to go pick up the cake. I'd do it myself if my hands weren't already full."

You started setting up the area, ignoring every one of Toji's advances at you. Eventually, he left and went to pick up the cake.