'I know, I'm sorry-'

'And then you come back five years later and you're on my doorstep in the pouring rain telling me how much you love me and you expect me to believe it'.

'It's true-'

'And you do know the most frustrating thing?' Cheryl interrupted. 'No matter how much I want to hate you. No matter how much I want to tell you to leave and never come back I can't. I can't because I love you'.

'You do?' Toni whispered, but the redhead didn't hear her.

'How pathetic is that?'

'Then maybe we're both pathetic, but I'm telling you the truth Cheryl. I love you and if you'll let me I want to make it up to you'.

'So what, you expect me to come running into your arms like nothings happened?'

Toni shook her head, 'no, I don't but maybe we could go forward instead of going back. I know we've got a lot to work through, but I'm willing to try if you are'.

'Toni you don't live here anymore'.

'We could work something out'.

They looked at each other and when Cheryl's eyes dropped to the ground the brunette knew it was too late. She was too late.

'I'm sorry Toni, I just can't'.

Toni pursed her lips together to stop herself from crying even more. Instead she just nodded, she respected Cheryl's decision and at least she would leave knowing she tried.

'I understand. Goodbye Cheryl'.

The brunette turned and walked away without looking back. She didn't hold any resentment in her heart for the redhead, she was simply just sad.

'Toni wait!'

The serpent turned around to see Cheryl stood behind her, the rain hiding their tears. Toni didn't think when she stepped forward taking the redheads face in her hands. Cheryl had always been the one to make the move, but not this time. This time it was Toni who pressed her lips against the redheads before she realised what she was doing.

'I'm-,' Toni started as she pulled back.

Cheryl didn't give the brunette time to finish her sentence, it had been so long since they felt their lips against each others and although it may not have been the right thing to do the redhead pressed hers back against Toni's.

A clash of thunder rumbled again causing them both to pull away. They should have probably been worried about someone seeing them but the redheads small house was quite secluded and to be perfectly honest Toni really didn't care.

'Cheryl, are you okay?' Toni asked, their faces only inches apart.

The redhead nodded, 'do you want to come inside? It seems to be raining'.

The two of them entered Cheryl's house, both of them soaking wet from head to toe. What we're they suppose to do now? A few minutes ago Toni was about to leave for good and then all of a sudden they were kissing in the pouring rain.

This made things complicated.

'We should change, unless you're in a rush to leave?' Cheryl said, her voice trembling a little.

'I'm not,' Toni said maybe a bit too quickly.

'I think I still have some of your clothes'.

'You do?'

'I think so,' Cheryl said knowing full well she did. 'We'll go and take a look'.

The two of them walked up the redheads stairs, Toni tried not to let thoughts overrun her mind. They had kissed. A kiss wasn't a promise for anything, she could still leave Riverdale today and never see Cheryl again.

It wasn't a possibility she wanted to think about, but it was something that could happen. She and Cheryl lived two hours away from each other. Was it realistic to believe they could work something out?

Toni supposed if she left today and they ended up nothing more than friends she'd take it positively even if it would sting. It was more than they were when she came back to Riverdale and she'd also gotten answers she had waited so long for.

The letter was never from Cheryl and what they had was real. Her relationship with the redhead was exactly what she believed it was as a teenager. It was love. So even if Toni left today at least she knew the truth.

'I have your flannel,' Cheryl said standing in front of her closet. 'You can borrow some pyjamas until your clothes are dry if you want?'

'Yeah, anything is fine,' Toni said sliding her bag off of her back.

'Here you go'.

Cheryl turned to Toni handing over the dry clothing before turning around to get some out for herself. The brunette couldn't stand the feeling of the wet material on her skin so she took off her shirt.

'I'll, uh,' Cheryl stuttered when she turned around.

'Sorry, should I go change somewhere else?' Toni asked.

'I... I'll go to the bathroom'.

Toni didn't miss the blush on Cheryl's face and the last thing she wanted to do was make her uncomfortable in her own home so she shook her head, 'no I'll go. Is it just down the hall?'

Once Cheryl nodded her head Toni gave her a smile, until she felt a hand on her arm as she got to the door.

'Cher, is everything all right?'

'I, uh,' Cheryl stuttered before regaining her composure. 'Kiss me'.

'What?' Toni couldn't help being a little shocked.

'I won't ask twice Toni'.

Toni didn't hesitate, she leaned forward placing a light kiss on the redheads lips, one that grew deeper with every peck. Before either of them knew it the redhead was pushed against the wall whilst Toni decorated her neck with tiny love bites, something she was sure she would be reprimanded for later, but for now she didn't care.

As Toni moved back towards plump lips, she wrapped her arms around the redheads waist hearing a small squeak slip out as she lifted her into the air. With Cheryl's legs now wrapped around her as their tongues fought for dominance Toni was sure she hadn't been this happy in a long time.

Their wet clothes didn't stay stuck to them for much longer, they were quickly peeled off before finding a place on the carpet all whilst Toni was being pushed towards the bed. The redhead straddling her made her body buzz with anticipation, the feeling of Cheryl's skin against hers was absolute ecstasy.

With nothing but their underwear between them Toni pulled back a little, 'is this okay?'

'It's more than okay with me. Is it okay with you?'

'Definitely,' Toni whispered pulling the redhead back towards her.

The kisses between them became less rushed, less urgent instead they slowed down, as if both of them were trying to savour every moment. Both of them could have stopped what was happening at any moment, but neither of them wanted to.

As they carefully removed the last of each others clothing, they took in each other's bodies with nothing but complete awe.

This was the first time they'd made love and in Toni's opinion it was perfect.