Chapter 1: NEW YORK

Start from the beginning

"Ladies and gentlemen we have been cleared to land, please make sure your seat belt is fastened."

I sighed inwardly as I glanced down at the city through the window. It was already dark and the lights from the buildings and busy roads made the view colorful. Satan's spawn was still deep in sleep. Thankfully.

The ten-hour journey and satan's spawn altogether had consumed my energy. My muscles hurt from sitting in this stupid economy seat and undoubtedly I would need another whole day to recover from the jet lag.

After a few more minutes, the flight landed and I got down impatiently after the first-class passengers and rushed outside with my luggage.

Had it been before there would have been a chauffeur standing at the entrance with my name but things are different now, as expected I find nobody with my name.

Dragging my suitcase further I got into a taxi and showed the driver the new address my father had sent me last week.

I don't know how my mother was putting up with all the new changes.

Is she adjusting?

Maybe I could help them in some way?

Getting a job would be helpful I guess. Yeah! Most of the kids my age do part-time jobs while studying.

Then again, if I start working in some cafe, I don't want to scare away all the regular customers in the mornings with my bitchiness as a bonus to their order.

I noticed the taxi drive into a new locality. Surely, I had never been around this neighbourhood before. Most of the houses looked decent and were two or three-storied. The locality was quiet, except for a few cars and pedestrians.

After a few more turns the taxi finally halted. I nervously glanced towards my left as I saw a two-storied house.

Cream - brown coloured. Exactly how my father had described. I kept on staring at the small building as if staring would change the reality.

"Miss, we are here". The driver spoke as he scarcely turned to look at me.

Mumbling a small yeah I quickly took out some cash and gave him. With extreme nervousness, I opened the taxi door and stepped out dragging my bags with me. The taxi drove away, yet I was fixed on that exact spot.

Words could not describe how I felt at this moment. I had never thought that a day would come when I would be living in such a small house. Who knew a single phone call that I received three days ago would turn my life upside down?

It was hard to even think about what my parents must be going through right now.

No Stella, you promised yourself to be strong. everything will be fine, we are going to get through this.

Chanting the same lines in my mind again and again, I drew some deep breaths and walked through the gate.

Finally, mustering some courage, I went in and pressed the calling bell twice. I heard my mother's voice from inside before she opened the door.

When I looked at her, my lips parted and my eyes widened. Gone was the woman who wore bright-colored dresses with matching sets of the most precious jewellery.

My mom, the COO of Crawford Industries was now wearing a light yellow dress with an apron on it. I frowned as I saw her bare hands.

No rings, no bracelets.

She had always loved jewellery and looking at her like this tugged my heart.

"Stella, it's been so long since I saw you." with a wide smile, she hugged me and pulled me inside the house. Yet, the smile didn't reach her eyes.