Chapter 10

I stayed beside Norm waiting outside of the hut, and I asked him of how life was back at home. He told me how Tarsem kept the people safe and that nothing bad had happened since we left. He then talked about grandmother and how she was missing us dearly.

"I want to go home Norm."

"I know, but you must stay strong for the sake of your family."

"I just can't do it anymore. There have been a few fights already, Lo'ak was nearly killed when I wasn't watching, and Kiri is unconscious, and I don't even know if she is going to wake up. I could have prevented the fights, and I could've prevented Lo'ak from nearly being killed, and I could've at least been there for Kiri. I've let my guard down Norm, and if I don't fix that, then something really bad is going happen."

"You know even if you were there with Kiri, you still couldn't have done anything about it, and besides, you deserve to have some time off from babysitting. So, don't blame yourself for all of these things, you know your brothers need to be take responsibility for some of their actions sometimes."

"I suppose your right about some of it."

"The only advice I can give you about letting your guard down is that you have to remember that you have a family to protect, and no one can separate you from your family. But always think before you act Tsalwi, I know how you can act when you're triggered, and it never ends well. When your family sees you lash out, it breaks them more than you will ever know, and seeing them hurt will cause you to let your guard down even more. So, control your actions."

I knew Norm was right and it made me mad at the fact that it was true. Anytime when someone used to pick on one of my siblings back at home, I would lash out on them, and it scared my family to see me like that. One minute I would be cool and collected then the next I would turn into a monster, and it hurt me to see them so afraid.

"Yes, I know Norm, but I haven't lashed out that bad in a long time. But thank you for the talk I'm going to go check on my sister now." I hugged Norm and walked into the Hut. When I entered the hut, I seen mother holding onto Kiri's hand while Ronal was doing her work. I sat on the opposite side of Kiri and took her other hand. It still hurt my heart to see Kiri in this state, but I knew I needed to stay there to be with her.

"Oh sister, please wake up." I whispered to myself and closed my eyes while looking down. All the sudden I felt a squeeze on my hand, I jolted my head up and my eyes meet with Kiri's. "Oh sister, you're awake!" I whisper shouted. I laid my head on Kiri's chest and listened to her heartbeat.

"Oh, thank Eywa!" Mother said while touching her forehead to Kiri's. Kiri began to cry, and all I did was lay there with my head on her chest, rubbing her hand with my thumb. Mother began shushing Kiri in a way to comfort her. "We are here Kiri" Mother told the girl.

I stayed with Kiri until eclipse and finally decided to take a walk. I was walking alongside the shore when I heard footsteps behind me.

"Why are you following me Ao'nung?" I asked out loud while continuing walking straight.

"How'd you know it was me?" He asked shockingly.

"Because you're the only one who dares to follow me at night."

"Oh"

"What do you want Ao'nung?" I questioned him as he picked up his pace to where he was now beside me.

"I want to know if you're okay."

I stopped and turned towards him. "Yes, I'm fine. Why do you ask?"

"I just wanted to know if you're okay especially because of what happened today."

"I can assure you that I'm fine, but thanks for asking."

"Yeah of course''

"Wait a minute, do you care about me Ao'nung?" I asked him with a teasing smirk on my face.

"I mean, I guess I do as your friend."

"Who said we were friends?" Ao'nung gave me a blank stare. "I'm kidding dumbass." He just rolled his eyes in response.

"But really, are you okay?" he asked in a soft tone and reached out to grab my hands. His action surprised me and caused me to blush red.

"Yes, I am okay, I promise." He leaned down to press his forehead against mine.

"Just tell me if anything is ever wrong." he whispered. I just stared into his beautiful eyes admiring them.

"I will."

We just stood there, forehead to forehead, hand in hand, and stared into each other's eyes. I felt comfort in his eyes for some reason, I had never felt like this before. It was like I had tingles in my stomach. Was I catching feelings for Ao'nung? No. I couldn't have been. Right? That's what I told myself. Thats when I noticed Ao'nung glancing in between my eyes and lips, and he began to lean in. I knew what we were about to do was wrong considering the fact that I was already promise to someone, but I didn't stop him. He let go of one of my hands and put his hand on the side of my cheek. As our lips connected it felt like a light had turned on in my head. The kiss was calm and gentle and lasted for a few seconds until Ao'nung pulled away. I just stared at him and didn't know what to say. I couldn't lie I enjoyed the kiss and I would be lying if I said I didn't want to kiss him again.

"Tsalwi?"

I looked back up at him. "Yes?"

"Is there something on your mind?"

"Yes, but if I tell you will you be mad?"

"Depends, what is it?"

"Ao'nung, I am promised to someone back at home. I can't do this to him." Ao'nung looked at me with confusion.

"Do you love him as you do me?" He asked with a calm tone.

I didn't know how to answer the question. "It's getting late I better head back before my family gets suspicious." I said while letting go of Ao'nung's hand. "We can talk about this tomorrow"

"I'll see you then."