Chapter 8

I woke up and realized I was back in my family's hut, I guess that dad had taken me back last night after I fell asleep. I sat up and looked around to notice that I had woken up before everyone else. I quietly got up and walked out of the hut and decided to go for a walk to clear my head, and to think of what I was going to do about Ao'nung. I then heard foot steps behind me. I turned my head and saw a glimpse of Ao'nung and continued walking. I didn't want to talk to him until I figured out what I was going to do. "What do you want Ao'nung, I really don't want to see your face right now." I said sternly while continuing to walk along the shore.
"I want to apologize" he said with a sad tone, it almost sounded like he was crying.
"Well I don't want your apology. You already went behind my back after you promised that you wouldn't harm my family, and almost had my brother killed. I don't think a simple apology will heal that." I continued to walk until Ao'nung ran up to me and put his hand in my shoulder.
"Please"
"Make it fast before I change my mind and break your face." I said while turning towards him .
"Listen, me and Lo'ak got into an argument and I got a little heated, so I took him hunting outside of the reef and decided to leave him there as a prank. I thought he knew the way back but I was wrong, and I didn't know that he was going to be attacked.... I'm deeply sorry, and if I could take it back, I would. I've already apologized to Lo'ak and he's okay with it, I even think he wants to try and be friends. I just need you to accept my apology, please. That is all I ask for." He looked at me with pleading eyes.
I knew he meant every word but I still didn't know if I wanted to trust him.
"Thank you for telling me Ao'nung. I'll consider accepting your apology." I said and a slight smile grew on his face.
"Thank you" he whispered back at me while grabbing my hands. I nodded my head at him.
"Well I better head back to my hut before my family wakes up." I said to Ao'nung and pulled away from him.
"Talk later?" He asked.
"Maybe" he smiled at my response.
As I was walking back to my hut, I was trying my hardest to not overthink about what just happened because that would lead to a panic attack. Once I made it back to the hut I walked inside to see dad already awake, and staring at me with a raised eyebrow.
"And where have you been?" Dad asked me.
"Shit" I mumbled. "Um..uh.. I was out for a walk to clear head, why do you ask?" I mean it wasn't really a lie.
"I was just wondering where you ran off too so early in the morning." He snickered. I knew, he knew that something was up.
"Just don't worry about it, I was only out for a walk." I said while walking over and sitting next to him.
"Mhm" he said with a smug smile on his face. I just rolled my eyes at him.
After a while mom had woken up followed by Neteyam, Lo'ak, Kiri, and Tuk. We all ate before going out to do our own things. Before Lo'ak had left the hut I decided to ask him the question that would determine if I would accept Ao'nungs apology.
"So, are you and Ao'nung actually friends now?" I asked Lo'ak with a serious face.
"I think so, I mean we talked a bit last night after what happened and he actually wasn't that bad. We had a lot in common actually." Lo'ak s words soothed the ache in my head.
"So does that mean I can trust him again?" I asked Lo'ak.
"Yeah, I believe so." Lo'ak said with a smile on his face.
"Thanks little bro, I gotta go do something" I said while hugging Lo'ak and running out of the hut. I wasn't sure why I was so excited to tell Ao'nung that I had excepted his apology but I didn't care.
I ran around the village to find Ao'nung but I couldn't find him anywhere. It was like he disappeared. I then had an idea.
I slowly walked into the cave that I had once found before, and looked around to see if I could spot Ao'nung. Then there he was. He was sitting at the edge of the small pond that we had once sat at together. I began walking towards him and sat down beside him while looking straight forward. He looked over at me with confusion.
"Tsalwi? What are you doing here?" He asked me but I don't respond. I took a big gulp before finally speaking.
"Ao'nung, I accept your apology." I whispered towards him as I finally looked at him.
"Wait, really?" He asked me while grabbing my hands into his.
"Yes, really"
"Thank you" he whispered to me and brought me into a giant hug. I hugged him back and we stayed that way for a while.