Chapter 14: Mission

Start from the beginning

Custus pretended to be indifferent, but his eyes looked around.

Her heart is a little anxious.

She always inexplicably feels that someone might find out she is a ninja, she was not used to undercover missions.

Custus looked around where there was a place selling food and another selling jewelry.

Of course, this was not because she was unprofessional and interested in jewelry on a mission.

This is Canteen's request.

After entering the town, Custus would pose as an upper-middle-class woman, buy supplies for the trip, ask for the price of some jewelry, and get information from the sellers and civilians she came across.

It was obvious that Custus was not the ideal person for the task, her nerves were showing, but she still obeyed Canteen's orders.

Inevitably a young and beautiful woman will attract the attention of others in the village, which is not likely to lead to hiding or going unnoticed, but it is likely to get more information from those who approach her for conversation.

During the week-long journey, Rasa's team saw many travelers and businessmen.

They all carried a lot of goods from town to town, but none had managed to give useful information about the location of the Bandits and the rogue Jonin ninja.

Once Custus finished with his duties, he sneaked into an alley and disappeared.

After a while, he appeared next to Rasa and Nomad who were hiding in a small abandoned inn.

"How did it go, any useful information this time?" asked Rasa as he saw her arrive.

"I think so, apparently one of the jewel sellers heard from a customer that there is a village where bandits steal their possessions from all the merchants who pass through the place."

"Mmmm, maybe it could be them, but we would have to check it out first" commented Rasa.

"Let's hope it's not another false trace, we've been looking for these guys for over a week now and we still haven't found them" complained Nomad.

"Well, get everything ready, we are leaving for the town that the seller mentioned, Custus, can you tell us where it is located?" suddenly spoke Canteen as he appeared next to them.

He had been on the lookout for no one following Custus or that by any chance anyone would notice that she had suddenly disappeared.

"Sure, it's a few miles from here, we should be able to get there in a day if we don't stop on the way" nodded Custus.

"Perfect, as soon as you change we leave," Canteen told him and looked at Rasa and Nomad.

It didn't need him to say anything for them to know that the three of them should leave Custus alone to change back into his Anbu uniform.

The three of them left the inn and walked through the village one last time.

By the time they returned, Custus was already dressed in her Suna Anbu clothes, so the four left for the village where their target might be.

The next day, the group of four arrived at the village that the seller had mentioned to Custus.

When they entered, the first thing they did was to make sure they went unnoticed.

Canteen had decided to investigate alone this time since being a Jonin the ninja they are dealing with, he would be able to detect Rasa, Nomad, and Custus if he was really in this town.

So he alone hid in the shadows, while the rest of the team put on large brown tunics over the Suna Anbu uniform to cover their identities, but the three of them kept all their equipment under the tunics in case they had a confrontation with the bandits.

Luckily it was already getting dark when they reached the village and there were many people wearing tunics like their own, so it wasn't going to be too hard to go unnoticed.

As they walked through the village Rasa felt a little strange with the situation he was witnessing.

'The seller said that the bandits were robbing all the merchants that approached the village, so why does everything look so prosperous?' wondered Rasa.

"Wow, and here I thought I would find a poor village with civilians terrified of vandalism, yet all I see here is one of the most prosperous villages I saw in the Wind Country" commented Nomad in a whisper to the group.

"I think for the first time I agree with Nomad, this is very different from what the salesman told me" commented Custus in a low voice.

'Is it logical that the village is prosperous with Bandits preventing merchants from passing through here?, is it logical that people don't seem the least bit concerned when they know bandits are robbing and attacking merchants?' wondered Rasa again analyzing the situation.

"Something is not right" mumbled Rasa.

"Clearly, the thing that's not right is the information Custus got, again we got a false lead, what a surprise!" said Nomad sarcastically as he looked at Custus as if it was her fault.

"Don't look at me like that, I couldn't know if it was true or not the information, besides this time it really seemed to be correct?" Custus told him with a frown because she was very puzzled by the situation.

"There is no other choice, for now, we must wait for the captain to finish his research to then decide what to do next, so first let's look for a hotel where we can stay," Rasa told the two of them.