Chapter 30: No way out

Start from the beginning

"Someone already knows about the Kathalenya, Stephen." I try to talk some sense into him and he shakes his head.

"You said it yourself, he did not come to get you when you so childishly changed our timeline. I am sure this man you mentioned is not a threat right now." Stephen has finally managed to say something stupid and I roll my eyes. It's three against one. I cannot take them all out and run.

"Et tu, Brute?" I look at James and he sighs unsure of anything. 

"Dr Strange was right about our chance of beating Thanos. What if he is right again?" he gives me a long weary sigh and I gulp nodding softly. I cannot win this fight. I might as well give up now. I raise my hands defeated raising the fingers of one hand just enough to let Stephen know he can do the spell.

"I will send you back to Romania and it will be like we never had this conversation." Stephen speaks and I nod. Well, at least they will forget about Kang as well. I look at James as Stephen is waving his hands in the air and I sigh walking towards him.

"I am sorry about this." He whispers and I press my lips into a thin line letting my hand reach his. We were never good with words anyway. I however have not forgotten how strong the magic barrier around me is. I am the reason Thanos's snap did not work on Wanda and even though I hated the fact that James chose to let Stephen know about everything, I still need someone who knows the whole truth. I see the spell taking over the room and I gulp stepping slightly in front of James and hugging him.

Just as the spell is over a portal opens and I find myself back in Romania, in our apartment. 

"What happened?" James asks confused. "I still remember. The spell did not work." He looks confused at me.

"It did, for Stephen and Wong, it did work," I tell him leaning out of the hug. I can see he is not happy about it.

"What did you do?" He clenches his jaw looking at me almost disappointed. 

"Are we really doing this?" I sigh and he squeezes his eyes looking at me. "Fighting over something that I cannot control. Are we really doing it?" I calmly go over to the kitchen counter and pour myself some water. It's been a long day. 

"What the fuck Y/n?", James on the other hand is not taking this as calmly as I am. I can feel him annoyed and confused and above anything, a little anger makes its way. I finish the drink and make my way to the sofa. "Look at me. Talk to me!" James follows me and I can feel his hand grabbing my arm stopping my body from moving as he turns me around, making me look at him.

"Would you have rather forgotten? I can make it happen if that is what you want." I say calmly but I can feel his anger only growing stronger. It's been a long day for him too. 

I can see the wheels turning in his head and for a split second, I can almost hear him scream in his own mind. His breathing is increasing and he shakes his head walking past me and going straight to the balcony. I watch through the window as his back moves slowly in a controlled manner up and down as each breath seems to be deep. I see the metal handrail being deformed as his hands are squeezing it. 

I take deep breaths watching him. It's been a long day for both of us.

I pour some water into the electronic boiler and press the button watching the water go from still and calm to forming small bubbles and finally to moving chaotically in its container. I think both James and I have reached our bubble point. Give it more time, we would reach our chaotically boiling point. I should go talk to him. 

I finish making the tea and I let my legs find their way into the balcony. I set the mugs on the small table and close my eyes watching him not even turning around to look at me.