Chapter 24: No happy ever after

Maybe there is another way.
A woman's voice echoes in the distance.

There is not. I am sorry.
A man is crying.

I see a white light blinding my eyes and I have no idea what is happening. A steady yet tumultuous beeping bruises my ears. I can't make up all the voices around me and it feels like they are talking in slow motion.

My sweet Enya.

The only clear voice in my mind seems like it's shouting in whispers. I feel like that voice is familiar yet I cannot make up anything.

I have to take her.

There must be another way!

The ringing of the beep gets faster and louder and I am blinded by light once again. And again. I feel someone shouting around me. What is happening?

She's losing it! 5 mg of Diazepam. Stat!

Am I in a hospital? What is going on? What happened? The voices start to become blurry in my brain and every sense diffuses gradually. I am surrounded by darkness once again and it gets quiet.

Suddenly I feel like someone is cutting the front part of my thighs and the pain overwhelms me and I remember I did that on my own while fighting Kang. I feel a burning sensation bursting from the cut area and spreading into my whole leg. I regain strength in my whole body and I start to become aware of it.

I open my eyes lifting my upper body scared and I realize I am in a white hospital room. I look around as I am connected to all sorts of machines and realize the beeping ring is my heartbeat. The bed is in the back of the room and I see a brown leather jacket on the chair on the left side of it. I look down at my own body and I see two big bandages covering my thighs. Am I dead? Kang put a knife through my heart. Did he actually go through with it? I travel my hands on my chest and I look down the neck gap of the white robe at my chest, but nothing seems wrong with it. I look at the small window from the room and I realize it's night. How did I get here? Where is here? Am I still in the Citadel?

I look at the heartbeat monitor and as my heart picks up the pace I lean towards the monitor and shut it down. I take out the wires from my hands and chest and I get to the edge of the bed. I look around but there doesn't have to be any pair of slippers. Alright, I'll do this barefoot. I can't really feel my legs as I think they pumped me with a lot of medication. I lift my legs place them at the end of the bed. As the feet reach the cold floor, I get tingles up my spine and I feel my legs hurting, but I cannot stay here. I balance holding the metal part of the bed putting all my weight in my arms. As soon as I try to move my legs I feel like they are boiled spaghetti. Oh god, I feel a little dizzy too.

Fuck. What is going on. I feel too exhausted and I can't really stand on my legs. I try to put myself back in the bed but I can't control my body and I fall on the ground. I can feel my heart picking up the pace, pumping all the fear in my body. I can hear the thud of my head and it feels like my brain is going crazy as the walls look like the ones from the Citadel again.

I hear the glowing knife ending up near my ear as Kang is hovering above me. I feel his warm hands on my face as he nuzzles down on my body almost crying. "I'm sorry." His voice is haunting me.

I look around back in the hospital and I gulp having no idea what is going on.
"Hey! I need help." I shout as I can't really move. I get sick to my stomach.

Where the heck did I end up? What did Kang do to me? I look at the clock hanging on one wall. 3 am. That might explain why no one is here. Or maybe Kang is playing with my mind? What if I am still in the Citadel? I feel my whole body reacting to my thoughts as slowly I stop feeling my legs hurt. I turn around on my belly and I crawl on my arms to reach the door. I need to know. As I get close I see someone opening it.