30

"Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Evans."

Our realtor slides the keys to our new home across the large mahogany table that sits in his office after we've signed what feels like our entire life away over the course of the last two hours. Chris glances over at me, giving me a small nod leading me to reach out and slip the key ring onto my own finger.

"Ours," I say, smiling back at him as he pulls me to stand, wrapping me tightly into his arms for just a moment. 

  "Big change for the two of you, huh?" she asks. "Going from a small apartment to a big house with actual property. I'm sure Pumpkin is going to love it."

  "Not just the dog," Chris tells her, his hand slowly drifting over the tiniest of bumps at my belly.

  The realtor's eyes go wide in surprise as she squeals softly. "How far?"

  "Fourteen weeks," I answer, my smile growing as I feel Chris tickle lightly at Gumdrop's home. 

  "Are you going to be finding out if it's a boy or girl?"

  I glance up at Chris who genuinely doesn't want to know before the birth. But this time, he just gives a single shoulder shrug. "We haven't quite decided yet," he answers, leaning down to kiss my temple. 

  "Either way, that kid is a lucky one. One of Atlanta's finest officers as a father, they'll always be well protected," her hands clasp in front of her and I swear it looks as though she's tearing up. 

"Please don't," Chris chuckles, slipping his hand into mine, threading his fingers around mine. "If you cry, she's gonna cry and then we won't get anything moved into the house without a huge order of nachos and cinnamon chocolate empanadas." 

  I ball my fist up that's holding the keys and punch him in the arm, watching him fake grimace, "Oh, okay," he laughs a little harder. 

  "You two are just precious," the woman says. "True love for sure."

  He gives a wink in my direction before kissing the tip of my nose. "Always knew she was it," he admits to her. "Come on, gorgeous. We've got a lot to do."

  Two days later I'm taking the last few items over to the new house while Chris deep cleans the apartment and passes they keys off to be collected for a new tenant. 

  It had been an interesting couple of days with both excitement and even some trepidation on both of our parts. New and intriguing moments laying before us but a large part of our history's relationship would no longer be ours, but someone else.

  Part of me felt incredibly silly over the tears I shed as I stared into the near empty apartment. Each box or piece of furniture that was moved out made my eyes tear up. It didn't matter that they would be in our new house. This was where our relationship blossomed.  

  I'd felt the same difficult feelings when I left Magnolia, the reality being that was where our story really began to build itself. Yes, it's still in my name and we have ownership over it, but it's a very different reality when you come to terms that it's not someplace you'll be seeing every day.

  A glance at where the couch previously sat reminds me of the day I brought him home from the hospital. He had me curl up on his chest once I'd finally voiced the fact that I'd been scared. But it was also the same night he jokingly told me that he wanted kids with me, 'one on each knee, you and me.'

  That same spot, months later was where we sat and discussed our insane decision to go to Vegas and get married behind all of our friends and families backs.