.22.

Opal POV

  My feet carry me through the hospital quickly, my head jerking from sign to sign in order to try and find my way. This is unlike the last time I found myself in the Atlanta hospital. The memory of collapsing out front of the emergency room threatening to come rearing into my brain as I push it down. I'd been surrounded by people who could help me, but this time, those people are the reason I'm here at all. 

  Jumping into the elevator I give a small nod to the nurse that's coming off, frantically pushing the third floor button as if that makes it move any faster. My phone rings, shocking me that it's working inside the metal room. 

  "Yeah!" I answer curtly. "I'm here now. I'll update you once I find out for  myself." I hang up, not giving Lily a chance to respond as the doors open and I'm on my trek once more. I scroll through a message, looking for the details I need. 

  I find the beige hallway, the floor adorned with a navy blue line down either side. My head turns side to side until I find the doors with even numbers on them, finally coming to a stop at 3228.  I knock once before pushing it open. 

  "Hi, mama," I whisper quietly as I come around the curtain to see Laura and Spencer in bed holding the new bundle of joy. 

  Laura looks up at me, an unfamiliar smile across her lips. "That sounds so weird," she chuckles lightly, making Spencer laugh and the baby squirm in her arms. 

 Spencer leans in, kissing her temple as his hand rests against his son. "And yet so perfect," he tells his wife.

  "Do we have a name yet?" I ask, picking up the chair to bring it closer to the bed. Dragging it would only make more noise and she knew the little family had a long thirty six hours prior. 

  Laura shifts, allowing Spencer to pick up the small baby to pass him off to me. "Baxter Lee, meet your Aunt Ope," he announces, the baby grunting a bit until he feels the warmth of my chest. 

  "Oh, Mr. Baxter Lee," I gush. "A handsome name for a handsome little fella." I move the beanie off his head slightly to be met with just a brushing of black hair. "I see you take after your mama, Baxi." 

  "Chris still working?" Laura asks, sinking a bit further into the bed, adjusting the blanket up a bit higher.

  I nod, still enamored by the little guy that fits so well in my arms. "Yeah, he's covering somebody's shift. He says your daddy is gonna owe him one," I say in a tiny baby voice. "Yes he is."

  Spencer grins as he looks at the clock on the wall over my head. "He should be getting off soon though."

  "He'll be here after he showers," I inform them, running my finger over Baxter's soft, plump cheek. "I suppose daddy and Uncle Chris are gonna fit you for a uniform soon, huh bubby? Yeah. Add another one to the Atlanta Police Department."  I giggle as the little boy shakes his head no in his sleep.

  "He's got time to warm up to the idea," Spencer reminds us earning him a playful shove from his wife.

  I begrudgingly turn my attention away from the baby and over to my friend. "How are you feeling? You want anything?"

  Laura sighs and gives me a frown. "What I want is some spicy wings from Deckers, but since I'm gonna breastfeed that's a big no for now."  

I give her an apologetic look. "Sorry friend. Time for those sacrifices I suppose."

 "It's worth it," she says quietly her eyes transfixed on her newborn son. 

  I watch her for a moment as I pass the baby back. "Never thought I'd see the day. Our Samantha, all grown up, married and with a baby. Change looks good on you my friend."  Laura starts swiping at her eyes, reminding me that her hormones are all over the place and to please save the sentiments for a few days. 

  I decide to grant her wish, grabbing my phone from my purse again. I snap a handful of photos, varying between just Laura and Baxter to the entire new family of three. I send them off to Lily and Rae in our group text, adding the baby's stats as well. 

  "Baxter Lee made his appearance weight a whopping 10 pounds, measuring an impressive twenty inches long. Mama and Daddy are doing well. And Aunt Ope is pretty sure she can slip him into her purse and get down to Florida before anyone notices."

  Laura's phone dings, a giggle escaping her lips as she reads my caption. "I'm not sure that's very Godmother like behavior, Ope."

  "Just an offer," I tease before realizing what she's just said. "Wait. What?"

  She smiles back at me, rolling her eyes. "Did you seriously think you wouldn't be the Godmother?"

  "Well, I mean, I'm already Giovanni's so I just figured you'd pass it on to one of the other girls." 

  Laura scoffs at my idea. "No way am I giving Lily that responsibility. Rae and I talked about it and we know that you are meant to be the Godmother to all the babies of our group." It's my turn to get teary eyed at the sweet words. "You're the best friend any of us could ever ask for. You're the glue that holds us all together, Opal. Don't act like you don't already know that."

  "Stop," I mumble through a whimper, leaning in to hug all three of them. I hold them tightly until  I hear a voice behind me.

  "Look out, she might drown little man with all those tears," Chris teases from the door behind me. 

  I give Baxter a kiss before backing up. "Stop it, Sergeant. I can't help it." He come sup beside me, wrapping an arm around my waist to pull me closer to him. He leans in, kissing atop my hair. "I know, babe. Wouldn't have it any other way."

  "We've got ourselves another Godson," I say quietly, snuggled into his side. I lean away, realizing he's still in his uniform. "I thought you were going home to shower."

  "Couldn't wait to meet the little fella," he tells me, motioning to Laura, silently asking to hold him. She puts her arms out, passing Baxter off to Chris. The baby boy opens his eyes, giving one long yawn before nuzzling into Chris palm that holds his head steady. "You sleepy bubba? You've had a long day, huh? Gave mama and daddy a taste of all those years to come."

  I find myself standing at the edge of the bed now, admiring him. My ovaries clench and my uterus flips when I see him give the babe a nuzzle with his own nose. 

  'Hot damn," I think to myself, thoughts running wild.

  Laura must notice my expression as she starts giggling louder than I think she intended. "What?" Chris asks, looking at each of us before going back to Baxter.

  "Well, if getting spontaneously pregnant is a real thing, I expect our spots to be flipped in nine months," she teases me, making my face turn a fair crimson color.

*Some Ope and Chris fluff for ya :). I must admit, I'm still helplessly in love with this couple.