.20.

*Don't hate me, but it's shorter than normal. I'd like to say I'm sorry, but really, I'm just happy I managed to get something written.  

Two days filled with snow tubing, skiing, ice skating for Opal and winter paintball for Chris. Two nights filled with candle lit dinners, star gazing while snuggled against one another on the porch, along with thoroughly enjoying each others company in ways they'd not experienced before the wedding.

  The fireplace sparks and crackles, red and orange filling the cabin's living room. A mountain of blankets, along with the newlyweds bodies, providing both the warmth and the comfort the couple needs on their last night away.

  Chris sits up on his side, his head resting on his hand as his elbow holds him up. Opal lays facing away from him, having fallen asleep with her back against his chest. The comforter taken from the bed draped over both of them, just above their hips.

  Cautiously he reaches his hand towards her side. The calloused pads of his finger tips grazing gently across the ink that runs up and down Opal's left side. 

FLASHBACK

 In one swift movement he grabs Opal around her waist, pulling her back onto the bed sending her into a squeal of laughter before he pins her down with his own weight.

"Say it again."

Chris' lips hover over hers while his hands hold her wrists over her head. He turns smug, smirking the way he knows drives her crazy. "I love you," he whispers before giving her what she wants, "Mrs. Evans."

She returns his smirk with one of her own. "Then show me, Sergeant."  

Chris, in mid kiss, grabs at the bottom of his sweater that sits just atop Opal's thighs, urging her to allow him to remove it. Sitting up from where he's pinned her to the bed, under the realization she was pantyless, she moves her arms, allowing him to peel it off of her, fully exposing her body to him in a way that they'd both longed for.

  Opal leans right back into him, already missing his body against her own, looking forward to feeling his skin against her bare chest. She's stopped abruptly, looking back at him through hooded eyes, her body confused as to why he's not upon her once again.

  "Why'd you-" her voice breathless before she notices him just looking at her.  She notices that his eyes no longer look like he wants to completely ravage her. Her hands rest on top of his shoulders, fingers beginning to wrap around his neck once more when she notices his eyes have become soft.

  Chris' touch along her left side causes Opal's gaze to change, realization hitting her. No longer continuing to question him she just watches. 

  He blinks a couple of times, almost wondering if his eyes are playing tricks on him. But when his hand splays across the black ink, he knows the words on her skin are as real as the words he's spoken to her.

  "Are you surprised?" Opal asks tentatively, suddenly unsure in her choice to wait on revealing the meaningful tattoo to him. He doesn't answer her, but leans in closer to her side causing her to shift. "Is it okay? I mean, I know when we talked about it, you'd mentioned how a magnolia would be fitting, but."

  "It's perfect," he interrupts her with a whisper just before his lips meet the words scrawled against her skin. One tender kiss placed over each word that he notices is written in his own handwriting. 

  Forever I will love you and never will that change. 

  Words that were coined between Granny and Pops, now having a profound impact between the newly married couple, embedded into their relationship both in soul and tangibly shown for the world to see against Opal's body.

  Opal's eyes close, relishing in Chris's lips  against a part of her that only his hands have ever touched. The feeling like nothing she can remember from her times before him. 

  Every featherlike touch, every grip of his hand against her hip, every shiver brought forth from his lips against her flesh feeling brand new, as though she's never been touched in such a manner before. 

  And in the same moment as Chris brings his hand to hold her cheek, she releases a sigh of pure bliss, realization hitting her that this was the moment she'd promised herself to wait for.

  Chris' thumb runs against her flushed cheeks softly, his eyes watching the state of his bride. "What is it, baby?" he asks, his lips grazing gently against her own before pulling back.

  Opal's bottom lip trembles as a tear falls, leaving a wet trail as it travels, being met by Chris' hand. His brow furrows, suddenly concerned by Opal's reaction. "Gorgeous?"

  Her eyes flutter open, revealing not a hint of despair present, but only happiness and joy. She gives him a small smile, her eyes alight, making his own lips turn up into a smile as well. "This is everything I dreamed of when I made that promise, Chris." 

  His own eyes becoming misty as he thinks back to her story. Her struggles in finding her worth was spent trying to fill a void with meaningless relationships, meaningless sex. 

  "I don't think you could've said anything that would make me happier, Ope." Both hands now cup her face, her smile growing wider thank before. "What?" he asks, his lips now changing into a smirk.

  She tucks her lower lip between her teeth, a gentle bite, making him cock his head to the side a bit. "Lay back," she says confidently.

  Chris nods, his eyes closing. "That, that might make me happier," he chuckles as Opal pushes back against his chest.