9

I shot up and looked at Kai's sad face.

I didn't know what to be more surprised at: the fact that he had showed up or the fact that he just spoke to me.

"Kai?" I spoke quietly.

Before he could say or do anything, I threw my arms around his neck and hugged him tightly.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered.

I felt him shake his head. I cried into the crook of his neck, making his shirt damp with my tears.

"Plea-please st-st-stop cr-crying," Kai begged. "I don't li-like s-s-seeing you cr-cry."

A small choke of a laugh escaped. I got myself to stop crying and pulled back to look at Kai.

"Kai, I am beyond sorry," I said looking into the beautiful brown eyes of his.

He shook his head again.

"You d-don't n-n-need t-to be," He said.

I shook my head.

"That's the thing, Kai, I do," I said. "I have no excuse of why I didn't stand up to you. Friends are supposed to stand up for one another and if I was in your shoes I would have done the same thing."

I paused.

'I would have stopped being my friend, too," I added softly.

I looked away from him. Kai put one of his long fingers under my chin so I would look at him.

"It's ok," He said gently.

I shook my head.

"Its not," I said.

We both were quiet while we just stared at each other.

"Can I confess something?" I asked.

He nodded and wiped a stray tear from my cheek with his thumb.

"Freshman year was normal and simple for me. I stayed out of people's way, minded my own business, did my homework, and was me," I started.

Kai's eyes searched mine while I talked.

"Then the beginning of sophomore year, Yoojin randomly came up to me and did this whole make-over thing," I continued. "I honestly have no idea why she did it or why I let her do it. Maybe, deep down I wanted it. Wanted to be popular and not the shy, quiet nerd who sat in the back of class afraid of attention that I was. I knew how she was, what she does to others, her reputation, but I still let her do it.

"In all honesty, I hate everything that she did to me. I hate the clothes she makes me wear to school. I hate the make-up I have to wear, hate that I can't wear my nose stud or lip ring, hate that she bullies people. I hate everything about her.

"My parents didn't raise me like that. They raised me to be respectful, nice, and to help people who need it. If they ever found out that I hung out with Yoojin they would be so disappointed in me. They also know about her and her reputation, and the thing is, l'm nothing like her. Not once since she did this to me, did I ever act like her," I paused after letting everything go.

Everything that I've been holding in for the past two and a half years. It felt as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

I started crying again and Kai pulled me into a tight hug.

"I've never been like her and never will be," I sobbed.

I quickly got myself to stop crying and pulled back again.

'I'm sorry," I said again in a whisper.

He gave me a real, full toothed, dimpled smile.

"I f-f-forgive you," He said.