Uncles and Aunties

By the end of that week Kimimeyla's first little teeth finally broke through in the bottom front. Twillow commented she looked like a rabbit. Despite her messiness she was learning to eat solid foods as well. Her favorites seemed to be berries and corn. She didn't seem to like oatmeal much but she acted willing to try almost anything thrown in front of her.

One evening the family was eating their dinner. Twillow was having some vegetable soup with some crispy seasoned bread. She was passing Kimimeyla a spoonful of the soup in between bites. Kendrick was having the soup too but also some venison. Kimi was watching him eat and moving her mouth like she was wanting what he was eating. He noticed her intent stare, gave it some thought, then plucked a rib from one of his cooked deer, and presented it to the baby.

"Oh, Kendrick! Don't give her that!" Twillow protested.

"Why not?"

"She doesn't eat..."

But before Twillow could finish her sentence Kimimeyla grasped the rib bone dotted with meat away from her father's fingers and began gnawing.

"...meat." The fae finished, "Kimi, you don't need that."

Though she didn't want to touch it, Twillow tried to pull the bone from her daughter's grasp.

"Rrrr." Kimi gave a tiny growl, violet eyes looking almost feral.

Twillow's eyes grew wide and withdrew her hand. She appeared stunned. Kendrick was quiet for a second before he uttered a hearty guffaw.

"There I am." He chuckled, finally seeing a glimmer of himself in their daughter. "Guess she likes meat."

Kimimeyla chewed happily on the rib. Twillow seemed a bit disturbed at first but realized if Kimi enjoyed it there was little she should do to deter her preference. Kendrick ate meat so it should make sense that Kimi would like it too. She just wasn't expecting it...nor the growl.

...

About a month later...

Helia and Gillam had left Tegath practically the day after Twillow's parchment had reached them, informing them of she and Kendrick's return with a new baby girl. Tegath was quite far south so the journey back to the North Woods for a visit was long. Gillam could've cut the journey in half by flying but he wasn't about to leave Helia's side for any reason. Even though Helia told him he should fly and she'd catch up, he still refused, resigning himself to horseback. (It would probably draw attention if anyone saw him flying in the sky.)

The slayer pair certainly had news of their own to convey since they were now in a relationship. Gillam was excited to tell his little sister and he was equally excited to meet his new niece. No description of her had been given so his imagination was awhirl with ideas of how she'd look.

Helia was still growing in her knowledge of how relationships worked since this was her first serious one. Thankfully, Gillam was patient with her. She wasn't sure how a man could be so understanding. (Then again, Gillam wasn't just any man.)

Thus far they hadn't gone beyond kissing and simple physical touches. Those still made Helia's pale face flush pink. Deep down she knew she wanted more than that, her body craved it even. But she had no idea how to initiate such intimacy or if that's even where this relationship was going. Somehow, she knew the moment that line was crossed it would never be the same between them and that gave her an unsettled feeling. She couldn't shake the idea that this was merely a short-lived tryst that would fizzle out. Helia had learned early not to rest her hope on the pedestal of high expectations since disappointment was lurking, ready to topple it.

Still, for now, it was kind of nice.

...

They finally reached the edge of the North Woods which meant they had a few more days until they reached Kendrick's mountain. Sig's place was closer and they would have to pass by it on their way through the woods so they decided to stop there for a rest.