Thenty-Four

Freen was slumped over her desk with her head in her hands by the time Becky arrived for work the next morning. She barely slept and was thus nursing a carmic headache. Becky dropped her things on her own desk and walked off to the kitchen for her morning coffee. Freen immediately knew it was going to be a long and awkward day.

As the morning dragged on they each kept busy on their own computers, doing whatever work they could manage to focus on. Freen kept glancing over at Becky and her beautiful face, brow slightly furrowed as she focused on the screen. When she put her glasses on, Freen just about lost it and swiftly exited the room. She needed some fresh air. She needed some privacy and space to deal with her emotions. More than that though, she needed Becky to talk to her. Freen had tried earlier in the day, but Becky's response was simply that they were at work and if there was no work to discuss then there would be nothing to say. It was torturous for Freen. Finding herself out on the balcony, Freen took a moment to simply look at the street below with its pedestrians and vehicles. It calmed her slightly and she could take a deep breath once more.

"You don't even know, do you?" It was Becky's voice suddenly popping up behind her. It was soft and timid, though still carried a certain harsh tone to it. She had closed the sliding door behind them so that their conversation could not be heard by their colleagues inside.

Freen spun around, confused, but so glad Becky was at least giving her the time of day. "Don't know what now?"

"I wanted to apologize to you. Last night." Freen's heart sank like a stone. She immediately knew what Becky had seen and what she must have thought.

"Becky, that was..." Freen started, but Becky quickly cut her off.

"No, I get it. She was quite gorgeous." Becky nodded, her face unreadable to Freen, but the woman reckoned that the other was not happy about it all.

"I told her I was seeing someone." Freen suddenly blurted out, unexpected, even to herself.

"Wait, you what? Please don't just try to placate me." Becky's face cracked a little as the emotion started trickling from her expression.

"I'm not, I swear." Freen stepped eagerly towards Becky, having to hold herself back from grabbing her hands or pulling her into a tight hug.

"Why would you do that?" Becky asked as she still struggled to understand. She was so sure that Freen had lost interest in her after finding out about her, and especially after she had seen Freen interacting with Nita.

"Because that's what I want, Beck." Freen took one final step towards Becky, coming to stand right in front of her, but the glass windows and door prevented her from showing the younger woman the affection she so badly wanted to. It wouldn't be appropriate in the workplace, after all. "Beck, I couldn't stop thinking about you the whole time..." She had to leave the ball in Becky's court, letting control over her emotions slip further for the little beauty.

Becky seemed shocked as she tried to process Freen's admittance. "Did you just basically tell me that you want to keep seeing me?" Freen could see Becky's cheeks start to glow a rosy colour.

"We can take it slow? Just see how each day goes at a time?" Freen ducked her head down, suddenly feeling uncharacteristically shy and unsure of herself. "If you would want that..."

Becky grinned now as she blinked back the bit of wetness that had formed at the corners of her eyes. Nodding lightly she leaned towards Freen in order to get to her ear. "Meet me in the second floor bathroom in ten minutes..." Becky purred the words into Freen's hair before stepping away and disappearing back inside the building, leaving Freen shivering in relief and anticipation. Finally she really had something to smile about.