Chapter Sixteen - Sundae Surprise

Chloe

After fifteen minutes on the road, I'm already feeling more confident with driving, even if I can't read the street signs. William was pissed when he found out about my lack of vision.

            I turn into a pretty deserted parking lot per William's instructions, and we all climb out.

            Felix points to a semi-rundown place, "That's the ice cream parlor,"

            We quickly shuffle into the bright building, all wanting to get out of the heat.

            I'm instantly hit with cool AC, getting goosebumps under the quick change of temperature. Looking around, we follow Felix towards the counter to order.

            "Is there banana ice cream?" I politely ask the lady smiling at the five of us.

            She shakes her head, "No, I'm sorry,"

            I smile anyway, "That's okay. Can I get a scoop of strawberry ice cream, please?"

            "Cone or bowl?"

            "Cone, please,"

            "Alright. Anyone else?"

            "Two scoops of plain chocolate, please. In a cone," Jayden butts in, ordering. "With sprinkles," she adds as an afterthought.

            "No fudge or anything?" Felix asks, dumbfounded and slightly appalled.

            Jayden whips around to him, jaw slack at the thought of Felix's words, "Hell no. Fudge is nasty."

            Felix shakes his head in disbelief, turning to the now slightly impatient lady. "Spiderman, if you have it. In a cone, please," he orders next. A second later he turns to William and quickly adds, "Can I have three?"

            "No," William replies swiftly, his stony expression not moving.

            "Three scoops, thanks." Felix says anyway to the lady.

            "And I'll have chocolate fudge please," Natalie says after him, "In a cone with two scoops,"

            "See," Felix says loudly, gesturing dramatically to a not-amused Natalie, "At least someone has taste and gets fudge," He proclaims.     Jayden happily flips him off, peeking over the counter to see all the ice creams. "Then why don't you get fudge, dumbass?"

            "What about you William?" I ask him, surely interrupting Felix's snarky response.

            "Just vanilla if you would." He reservedly asks the lady, "Two scoops in a bowl,"

            The lady hands me my ice cream and starts getting Jayden's ready.

            William pays for us all and I sneak a smirk to Jayden, who smirks just as widely back.

            After we all get our ice creams, we head back to the car. "Do we have to eat in the car?" I ask sadly, a spoonful of ice cream already in my mouth.

            Felix looks at me alarmed. "'Hell no are you eating in there,' as Atticus would say. We'll just eat at the bench."

            "Jeez that's why I was asking...didn't want to ruin the interior." I grumble before plopping down on the brown metal bench. Natalie and Jayden sit on either side of me while the two guys sit, facing us, on the curb of the sidewalk.