Chapter 7

The Callears of Ravenshold. Why did everything bring me back to him?

Arden had made a convincing argument for travelling by train rather than broom. He'd stopped short of a full presentation but did list its many modern advantages, peaking at his lack of travel sickness and emergency brakes, which he pointed out, brooms were severely lacking.

I'd folded myself into the corner of a seat with my head tilted, forehead pressed against the ice-cold window pane. It burned as the train hurtled towards the east coast. The morning was frost-kissed, the world a blur of silver rushing past. Not that I was taking much of it in.

Arden's gaze bore into my skin from the opposite seat. He cut a stylish figure, lounging casually with one knee up, foot resting on the edge of my seat. A Vivienne Westwood scarf complemented a camel coloured mid-length coat. I felt underdressed having opted for the long-line quilted coat Gran bought me two Midwinters ago, jeans and boots. Although in reality, I was more preoccupied with having to meet with Rafe's family than what I was wearing.

"You're quiet," Arden's voice broke through my thoughts.

I spun my head on the glass to look at him. "I'm tired. We had an early start."

"Nothing to do with your evil grandmother forcing you to become Head Demon then?"

How could I explain to him I'd accepted my fate? That I'd already resigned myself to thinking we'd be unable to find another way to keep the demons in Chaos, and the true reason for my quietness was due to us being an hour away from meeting Rafe's family. Not that I'd told him that either. That would have sparked a whole conversation I did not want to have.

I forced a smile. "Maybe."

"It will be okay, Riles. Nothing is going to happen to you. I won't let it. I stayed away the other night because I was mad at you."

"I know."

"Do you though? I was mad at you for being so reckless, careless even, with your life. I could feel the full force of Rebecca Archer from beyond the grave. Can you imagine me or Fawn having to collect your body? How devastating that would be for us? But other than that, I need you with me. You're all the family I have left. Just promise you won't do anything like that again."

I nodded because that wasn't quite as bad as using words to lie, right? It was just one thing I couldn't promise because I knew if Nova appeared again threatening my coven then I'd follow her just the same.

The train shot through a tunnel and when we emerged from the otherside, the landscape of rolling hills had given way to dots of farmhouses and then to clusters of residential estates, eventually, we came to a stop under a glass apex roof.

"Looks like we're here," Arden smiled as he tugged on fingerless gloves, and threw his bag over his head. Outside of the window I could see a large white sign with the words Raven's Nest in bold, black letters.

I mirrored him with my own bag, the knot in my stomach wrenching tight. Hopefully, the walk to the castle would ease my discomfort. Leaving the train station, we followed the brown signs pointing the way to the castle.

The chill in the air was tempered by the salty sea breeze, which carried the sound of crashing waves and the screeches of a few remaining gulls. The frost had gone from these streets where the buildings were a mix of old and new, with charming, weather-worn cottages and brightly painted buildings standing side by side. Further down the beach, the pier jutted out into the sea, the edges of the wooden boards wet with sea spray.

Arden was seemingly enchanted into a local bakery, the magic created by the smell of freshly baked croissants and roasted coffee. Normally I would have joined him and probably bought out half of the shop, but today I found my stomach was already full, leaden down with nerves. I waited outside, leaning back against the wall.