Chapter 20: Back in Action

Warning: Bruises, black eye, broken bones

=================================

Sure enough, a week later, George had safely arrived in Daly City. Sure, it was earlier than he would have liked, but a flight that came in at 10am was better than no flight at all.

Brian had been the one to book the ticket in the first place. And with that in mind, he had no problem waiting as long as he had to for everyone else to unboard. All he needed was a strong cup of coffee and a croissant, and he could sit at that gate all day if need be.

Just as the flight finished unboarding, a flight attendant popped up in Brian’s line of sight. Brian nearly dropped his coffee upon seeing her, but was quick to unfold the loaner wheelchair.

“Mr. Epstein?”

“Of course, yes. Sorry, morning brain.”

“I get it. Just follow me.”

Brian followed the flight attendant to the back of the plane and was more than pleased to find George again. George unenthusiastically set his magazine down, but did smile a bit at Brian.

“Hey.”

“Hey, how was your week?”

“Fucking miserable. But whenever I can get a break, I guess.”

“I heard that they tried having you on crutches, but it didn’t work out.”

“Yeah, no. I guess having a broken arm makes crutches unusable.”

George chuckled, and Brian just rolled his eyes.

“You can get in and out on your own, though?”

“Sure. It’ll just be a hot second.”

As George did his best to get from the aisle seat to the wheelchair, Brian couldn’t help but notice the bruises littering the guitarist’s face. They had mostly healed, but that shiner of a black eye was notoriously stubborn. He knew going on stage with it would spell trouble with the press, but it wouldn’t deter George from performing in the slightest.

“Are you good and comfortable?”

“Yeah, for now. But that might change once we get to the car.”

“That’s only fair. I’ll get your bag and we’ll head out.”

George just nodded, and the combined party headed off the plane.

=====================================================================

As they pulled up to the venue, George just sighed to himself and straightened his jacket.

“So soon.”

“Hm?”

“Sorry, just talking to myself.”

“Nah, that’s fair. I’ll get you to the dressing room.”

“If the boys don’t trample you trying?”

They laughed, and George just scooted closer to the edge of the car door. Brian didn’t have to do too much to help him, so they were able to get in with a little bit of extra time. He knocked at the dressing room door.

“Boys? We’re back from the airport.”

He heard a bunch of rustling and commotion before Paul excitedly threw the door open.

“George!”

George just headed in, and Brian left them to their reunion. It was a bit hectic for George, what with everyone clamoring for hugs and all that jazz. But for George, it was just nice to be back with his friends.