Chapter 42: This Was The Plan, Wasn't It?

Text from: Jake Morris-Whittaker, 11:03 am

BE BRAVE, YOUNG PADAWAN

🥴😬
Thank you, jedi master
PS I miss you so much already

Miss you too 😭😭😭
Christmas can't come fast enough!

~*~

A/N: TRIGGER WARNING FOR THIS CHAPTER for a nonviolent yet unwanted act. DM me if you need me to spoil it/summarize this chapter to make this a safe read for you.

~*~

Theo made it back to Kingsbridge first, but by the time my train had arrived, their coach had called an emergency team meeting since one of their defenders had come down with mono. He apologized that he couldn't pick me up at the station, and I assured him it wasn't a problem, especially since he'd splurged and bought me a first class ticket.

You should've told me, I sent from my Uber, I wouldn't have gotten so many stares for my sweatpants.

But you look so good in your sweatpants 😉, he'd replied.

I was waiting for the rest promised by Theo's grey reply bubble when a text from William slid down in a banner.

Rumour has it that Mr. Harris is checking paper outlines tomorrow. Quick prep session tonight?

My stomach flip flopped. I hadn't exactly gotten much homework done last weekend, even after Theo had left. I was so distracted hanging out with Jake and Simon, catching up with my parents, and playing with Buster that I'd barely even looked at the latest chapter I was supposed to summarize for Tuesday's tutoring, let alone my term paper outline.

Reluctantly leaving Theo's string, I replied to William. Sure. When?

Now?

I hesitated, then sent, I'm not back yet. Text you when I am.

As much as it was probably a terrible decision, tutoring could wait. I needed to find Theo first.

You done yet? I texted Theo as I climbed from my Uber.

👎 he replied
Looks like it's gonna be awhile.
He's sending us on a run now.

Okay, let me—

"There you are."

I looked up to find William holding the dorm door open for me. He was dressed in a fitted fleece and jeans, looking like he'd just stepped out of an L.L. Bean catalogue.

"Hi," I said, looking back down at my phone, "I'm just—"

"I'm sorry to rush you, but I have a council meeting in half an hour." William grimaced apologetically. "You okay to just drop your stuff and head straight to the library?"

My fingers twitched, but I finished my text to Theo before I answered. Let me know when you're done, I sent, inwardly cringing at how I'd have to build all my nerve back up all over again now that I had to put this on hold.

"That works," I said to William, and slid my phone into my pocket. "I'll just be a sec."

William smiled. "I'll wait."

Theo hadn't replied by the time I made it back downstairs, and as much as I wanted to dawdle and blow William off, I couldn't. Not if the varsity boys were stuck doing their coach's favorite 3-mile run. And after my weekend of slacking, I was going to need all the help I could get to catch up on my history paper.