An Ember in the City

Today's cage fight wasn't the best. My boss got a few bucks, but overall it was pitiful. The rhino barely lasted a second in there! I had him down on the ground in less than a minute! But, who cares really? Most people want things easy. Easy was never something I found interesting.

"Do clean yourself up young lady."

"Yes sir," I answered my boss. Scar owned a huge business in street and cage fights. Gambling on the best fighters was what he profited on. And I was the best one in the arena, unfortunately.

I made a beeline to my quarters to go wash my face. My powers had gotten stronger, and more wild. They were hard to control sometimes, but Scar had his ways. Training me in the best facilities and places with the highest technology in order for me to sharpen my gift. It was a simple deal between us really. I fought for him. He got his money. And I got a roof over my head as well as food. He had the best of the best, so financial struggles were nonexistent. The same thing went for our care for each other.

I never liked Scar, and the feeling was mutual. Ever since I was younger he practically forced me to push my gift too far. I had almost burned my arms off at one time. Have I ever thought about running away? Yeah, I tried. Several times actually. But each time I was caught by either him or the hyenas. The punishment I received was one I never forgot. My attempted escaping plans ended there.

I don't remember much when I was little. The only thing that comes to mind was my parent's death. I never forgave that scum of a lion. What he did was heinous and unforgivable. One night I vowed I'd kill him myself one day. Burn him to the ground and watch him shrink into ashes. That time would come. All that was needed was a bit of patience and planning. His doomsday would come.

That thought gave me some peace in mind.

A few years back we had moved over to Cape Suzette. Scar wanted to expand his business, and possibly unify with Kahn Industries. Yippie. How exciting.

Of course, Scar had no time to look after me so the court of law in the city decided to put me in foster care. Scar was still considered a guardian and my boss, but since he couldn't do what guardians usually are inclined to do, the law put me in the hands of others. I hopped from house to house, continuing to fight for Scar. He split the money with me once I was old enough in order to keep me from resisting against him. Yeeeaaaahhhh no. Oh, I'll take the cash, I just didn't accept it as a peace offering.

Once I made it to my room, I washed my face and got into some clean clothes. This was the time of the day when I'd return back to my foster home. My bag was packed with all my belongings. The clothes I had were brand new, and took on more of a sporty type of look. I had recently moved into the home of someone named Baloo a week ago. The bear was nice. A bit too nice, but not unbearable. Ha! Get it? Un BEARABLE?

No? Ok, whatever.

Tough crowd.

I snapped my suitcase shut and headed out the door. Baloo's place wasn't too far away if you took the Cape Suzette local bus. It was better than the subway, which smelled like camel waste.

Arriving at the bus stop, my watch ended up showing that I was at least ten minutes early. There was a nearby shop that I always went to ever since we arrived in the city. It was sort of like a Jazz bar/cafe that was owned by Louie. The guy had to be on some caffeine addiction. He had so much energy and life that it was infectious! Which is probably why I came back to his bar so much. Usually I sing on karaoke night every Friday, and I'd get a few tips. It wasn't for the money, but because that was the first place in Cape Suzette that allowed me to let loose after a long day.

The bar was near the bus stop, so I made my trek over there. The lights were still on and customers flowed in and out of the place. Heading inside, Louie was the first to spot me. Waving with an energetic smile.