"She's what?" Lori questions.

Rick sighs. He hadn't even taken the matter up with Lori yet. Dumbass. I couldn't help but snicker to myself.

"Lori-"

"A word?" she asks- though it sounded like a demand.

The couple step away and Shane takes his phone out.

"You wanna get the pictures over with?"

I hadn't shown anyone the scars and shit from months with the old bitch. It felt weird.

"Can I take them.." I look around the room of people. "Somewhere else?"

Shane sadly forces a smile and nods. He gets out of his chair and motions for me to follow him into the office that he and Rick were just in for hours. He closes the blinds to give me more privacy. For the first time since last night, I tug Q's jacket off. The sight of it on the desk makes me wonder where he was. If he was okay. 

As Shane takes the pictures of my bruises, I keep thinking about Q.

Was Shane right?

I mean.. he summed up a lot of the intrusive thoughts I've had about me and Q.

How he didn't trust me enough. How I was immature. His co-worker he put up with. The way he didn't take me seriously most of the time.

I think about how Shane perfectly mirrored Q's own words. How he reminded me of our age gap but still.. didn't stop anything. He still let me join him. He still held my hand. Had his arm around me. Smiled at me. Kept me close.

"Hyejin?" Shane asks.

I snatch the jacket off the desk and put it back on.

I hated cop minds. It was like Shane could tell exactly what I was thinking about. Goddamn mind reader from years of police training.

We go back to Rick's desk where Rick and Lori were already waiting. Rick looked like a kicked puppy and Lori looked like the person that kicked the poor puppy.

"Listen, we uh- " Rick begins.

"It's all right," Shane cuts him off. 

I sit back in my seat and pick at the zipper of Q's jacket.

"Hyejin's staying with me," Shane continues.

"Huh?" I ask.

Rick and Lori looked just as surprised.

"Yeah.. I've got a spare bedroom, anyway," Shane assures. "She can stay with me while we get things sorted."

"What things sorted?" I question. "I know you're arresting that bitch of my aunt.. what else?"

"We're filing a missing persons report on your sister, Jiwoo," Shane reveals.

"Missing persons?" I clarify as my heart speeds up.

Shane nods and I look over to Rick who repeats the motion.

"Until then, you're gonna shack up with me so you ain't alone."

"What about the house?"

"Since your parents own it, it'll just be vacant. Your mom is the only one that can decide what to do with it, so until she comes back.."

"Did you talk to her?"

"No, not yet. We were going to let you explain it to her with us by you so she wouldn't get as overwhelmed."

I feel like the past twenty four hours has completely turned my life upside down. I wasn't sure if it was for the better or worst yet.

"And when does all this start?"

"We're getting evidence together now.. The arrest warrant will be ready in a couple hours and then.."

"All hell breaks loose," I finish.

"Something like that."

The words make me think of Q again. It makes my heart break again.

 It makes my heart break again