Chapter Thirty-Seven - Lou

Start from the beginning

"Oh God, it would be in the hundreds. Do you want to come to a movie with us? Marcus has evening training off."

"Third wheel the lovebirds?"

"Don't worry, we'll at least wait for the lights to go down." She winks. "I'm kidding, come with us!" I eye the clock, there's only twenty minutes left of my shift, but I needed to do some reading before my next couple of days at the hospital. We were spending some time shadowing in the ICU, and I wanted to try and prepare.

"Honestly it's fine, I'm just going to head home." She smiles and nods, popping a blueberry into her mouth. "Oh, are you planning on going to the football game on Saturday?"

"I really want to but Kate's busy and we were going to go halves on a hotel room. Why?"

"I was thinking of coming." I'm not prepared for Ella to scream, I'm just glad I'm not holding my drink or near any of the hot machinery when she squeals. Marcus just smiles up from his phone at hearing her excitement.

"Oh my God yes! Marcus! Lou's going to come on Saturday! This is amazing! You've never been to one before! We can jump on one of the student buses, I'll book the hotel tonight!" She barely pauses for breath, bouncing up and down.

She kisses my cheek before practically skipping back to Marcus, forgoing the seat beside him for his knee, he pats it expectantly. He nuzzles into her before taking a huge bite out of the chocolate muffin, she giggles breathlessly. I take the opportunity to text Carter back.

Lou – Glad to hear about your balls.

Carter Huge – There she is. I was beginning to think I'd been texting a burner phone.

Lou – Well I am a Russian spy.

Carter Huge – Well in that case: Когда я смогу увидеть тебя снова?

I smile at my phone before copying and pasting into Google translate.

When can I see you again?

This boy.

Lou – I'm pretty busy.

Carter Huge – I thought I was the pretty one?

Carter Huge – But yes, you are very pretty.

Lou – I've got some reading to do tonight, placement for the rest of the week and Ella's booking our hotel for Saturday.

Carter Huge – Hey I have good news. I can read too.

Lou – That's a relief.

Carter Huge – I'll help you, need a lift home?

Lou – I have my bike.

Carter Huge – That rust bucket is a sorry excuse for a bike.

Lou – How dare you!

Carter Huge – I said what I said. Time do you finish?

Lou – My bike is fine Carter.

Carter Huge – Just googled it, see you in ten x

A tiny 'x' at the end of a message shouldn't make me feel funny; but it does.

I take inventory of what I look like before Carter arrives, my hair is due a wash and is safely in two French braids to keep it out of my face, I'm not wearing a scrap of makeup and my black jeans are faded and have more than one unintentional rip at the knees. Aka I look like a hot mess.

Thankfully, Marcus and Ella have vacated the coffee shop as Carter strolls in to Burnt Toast.

My heart stutters in my chest as I look at him, I definitely shouldn't have had the second coffee.