seventeen

IT WAS THE DAY OF THE DUEL AND just as expected, each members of the unanimous assembly were bound to attend as they could not afford to miss a duel like that.

Two weeks had passed since the soul shifter incident and it troubled them all, which is why they decided to use the duel as a distraction for their troubles. After all, it is not like everyday, a low level mage would challenge a member of the royal family, and The Crown Prince on top of that.

And in those two weeks as well, Hyejin found herself getting closer with Sang Ho. After the conversation they had at Sejukwon that night, Hyejin just found herself falling deeper for him. She already liked him before that, and her feelings for him was much more deeper now.

The duel will took place on the center at exactly 12:00 noon, Hyejin doesn't know if Uk will show up today. "Whether i show up or not, we know that either of the choices has it's own consequence. Should i just surprise you then?"  That was what he told her yesterday before he went home, and left Songrim.

But he knew her twin, whether he shows up or not, she knows that he has a plan. Especially with Naksu on his side, she knew that it was a good one, and hopefully, would work.

A soft sigh left Hyejin's lips as she sat back on the chair anxiously, she opened the book that contained a lot of spells a mage could learn. During those two weeks, she realized that Park Jin has no plan on teaching her how to cast spells, which is why she decided to just learn it herself.

She was forced to read books even though she hated it, because that was the only way she could learn. Though Sang Ho was considerate enough to show how some of it was done, she knew that she can't keep relying on him as she knew that he was Park Jin's right hand, and he could lose that title if rumors about them started spreading like a plague.

"Gosh, this is stressing me out.." She mutters under her breath.

"What is?" Dang-gu's sudden appearance made her flinch, a smile curled on his lips as he sat across her. "The hours you spent at the library is really shocking, Hyejin."

The girl rolled her eyes, "It's because your uncle likes to talk shit and break promises." She scoffed.

Dang-gu widened his eyes at that before looking around to check if someone heard it, he sighed in relief once he saw that no one was sitting near them. "Hyejin, you should be more careful on what you're saying." He muttered, "If my uncle hears that you're talking shit about him.."

"He already know it, Dang-gu." Hyejin waved her hand dismissively.

"What spell are you trying to learn now?" Dang-gu asked, "You took my advice right? If you're going to practice, do it away from the center."

"I know." Hyejin said, "Im trying to learn how to use tansu."

"Tansu?" Dang-gu furrowed his brows, "You have to reach Chisu in order to be able to use Tansu."

"You do?" Hyejin pouted, "Haven't you heard of the saying that nothing is impossible if you keep on trying?"

"You and your sayings.." Dang-gu mutters under his breath, "Today is the day of the duel, will he show up?"

Hyejin shrugged, "I don't know." She told him the truth, "I asked him that question too and the only answer he gave me was his infamous downward smile."

"That sounds like Uk." Dang-gu said, "If he shows up, do you think he would win?"

Hyejin looks up, "He has too."

---

It was ten in the morning when Master Park gave the order to gather the mages at the center, Hyejin was already on her way there, and was feeling anxious as she got nearer on the place. If Uk shows up today, there is a possibility that he will die, get hurt, or get injured badly.