CHAPTER 4 DATE?

Brian woke up the next morning to the smell of bacon and eggs. He walked downstairs to find Dakota fast at work in the kitchen. If this had been 11 years ago, Brian would have walked up and wrapped his arms tightly around her waist...but it wasn't.

"Morning," Brian said.

Dakota said nothing, only set a plate with eggs, bacon, and toast in front of him. A glass of milk and a glass of orange juice came after. Brian looked at her shocked.

"You don't change much," Dakota said, making herself a plate and sitting across from him.

They prayed silently and began to eat. Katie appeared with Amber and Jayce not long after.

"Kalob and Tiffany are on their way. We'll see you later, ok?" Amber said.

Dakota nodded. "Eat first though."

Amber, Jayce, Katie, Kalob, and Tiffany joined Brian and Dakota at the table. They ate in silence until Amber spoke.

"Dakota, you and Brian should catch up sometime today." Amber said.

Dakota choked on her drink. She regretted looking at Brian. She merely nodded and took a bite of bacon.

Amber, Jayce, Kalob, and Tiffany left soon after. Katie ran around looking for something to do while Brian and Dakota did dishes.

"Stop it," Dakota said.

"What?" Brian asked, confused.

"That guilty look."

"Kota...I'm not trying to do anything." Brian said.

Dakota looked down." I already feel guilty enough without being reminded."

"Why did you leave?"

"I didn't want Katie around this life, but I've began to realize, being a single mom is harder than you think."

"Let Mia and Dom watch her. You and I can do something-if you want, that is."

Dakota shrugged. "Sure, four this afternoon fine?"

Brian nodded.

Dakota and Katie left a little after one. Katie packed an over night bag, as did Dakota.

With a quick shower and outfit change, Dakota was ready. Brian was there right at four.

***

"What do you have planned?" Dakota asked.

Katie had been dropped off with Dom and Mia right before Brian and Dakota left.

"A surprise," Brian answered.

"Still hate surprises."

Brian smiled. "You'll like this one, trust me."

Dakota didn't reply.

Brian took her hand in his, making Dakota look at him. "I promise you'll be fine."

"I'm not worried about that."

"Then what?"

"Katie doesn't know you're her father."

Brian was stunned.

"I never slept with anyone but you. Katie's yours, and her hair and eyes prove it." Dakota said.

Brian looked at Dakota. "But..."

"I was pregnant when I left-I had found out about a week before I quit. I never planned to come back, but I did."

"I'm glad you did-everyone is."