This is absolute madness

Start from the beginning

"Unlike Evie who actually is ten years old," Leah commented. Evie stuck her tongue out.

"Child," the other four told her.

***

It was game day against Spain. Hannah was making her England debut and Evie was having her first start. It was pretty daunting. Spain were good and they had sat through many tactic meetings explaining how little of the ball they would see.

This worried Evie as she needed the ball to thrive. She did have the ability to win it back but she was much happier when it was already at her feet.

They were just finishing breakfast when suddenly Evie felt a painful rush of nerves. She began trying to take breaths but this didn't help. She held tightly onto the back of the chair and leant forward, trying to stop what was happening.

"Evie are you alright?" Lauren asked when she saw the state of the poor girl. The words wouldn't come out and all Evie could do was shake her head.

She gripped on tightly as she stood, desperate to control this. Her breathing was becoming more out of control. None of the girls knew what to do.

"I'll get Sarina," Alex said before rushing off to find the boss.

"Kiddo do you need anything? What can I do to help?" Keira asked, a comforting hand placed on her back. Evie was still struggling, unable to reply.

Leah was drawn to what was happening and came over.

"You okay?" she whispered into the youngsters ear. Evie shook her head slightly and tried to get the words out but they wouldn't come.

Her breathing was rapid now and they all caught onto the fact she was having a panic attack.

"Follow my breaths," Keira said, inhaling deeply. Evie tried to copy but she couldn't do it.

"Come on kiddo. You've got this," Leah reassured her, doing the same as Keira.

The rest of the team had headed off to the other room to give them space. Her eyes were wide with panic. Why couldn't she control this?

Alex re-entered the room with Sarina by her side.

"Evie. What's going on?" she asked, concerned for her players wellbeing.

"She's having a panic attack," Keira answered for her, unsure what to do.

Sarina motioned for Leah and Keira to take a step away and they both did so.

"Evie. I know it's hard. Follow my breathing. You're going to be alright."

She began to follow before an exasperated gasp set her back off track. The thought of the match to come had burst into her brain.

"No. Follow me. Exactly as I'm doing. Don't think about anything else. Just focus on the air coming in and out," Sarina instructed her.

This worked and Evie began to settle.

"I'm sorry," she stuttered weakly.

"Come and sit with me," Sarina said, taking a seat on the floor with her back against the wall. Evie copied her.

"Leah, Keira, please go and get Evie a drink of water."

The pair walked off, happy that the youngster was in safe hands.

"What happened? Why did you panic?"

"I'm scared. About the game," Evie said. She felt shaken by the experience.

"Why? We've worked through everything. This team is strong. We can do it. It'll be tough but that's football."

"I know but it's really scary. I'm just a stupid kid and I think that if I don't do well, I'll get backlash. I can't cope with backlash," she replied.