I

a small author's note -- yes, this is me (xxpeppermintxx109). I've decided to crosspost on here due to a lot of people asking me to. I haven't used wattpad in like 8 years so I'm still trying to get the hang of it again. Since we're at chapter 20 over on ao3, a lot of chapters are obviously already written. I'll try and update here every few days so I don't post all 20 chapters in one go and so I don't make y'all wait an eternity if this is your first time on this rodeo with me.

anyway, I hope y'all enjoy and thank you for checking this story out, whether you're new to glbh or if you've been with me through thick and thin since october of 2022. :)

-p

~+~

Shaera was her name.

Sweet Shaera.

The girl who didn't want for the Iron Throne and everyone thought her odd for it.

When Rhaenyra Targaryen had first brought her daughter-her firstborn-to her father, he cooed and doted upon her like she was his own. He certainly gifted her more attention than his own-save for the very woman who birthed her. And his other child had noticed. Aegon had frowned, not understanding why his father was so taken with a fat babe that was freshly washed. It was the same frown that Alicent Hightower wore when she realized the babe had a dark tuft of hair upon her head and when she blinked, fir-brown eyes stared at them all.

Certainly not a child of Laenor's, the queen argued with her ailing husband in private. But he explained that his cousin Rhaenys had black hair because of her mother, Jocelyn Baratheon. Of course little Shaera could have brown eyes and brown hair! It ran in the family, he told his young wife.

Alicent-not one to be taken a fool for-kept her eye on the child. More so than she watched her own children. Poor Aegon was five when Shaera was born. Helaena, two. Aemond, just a year old. Some of the most important years for children and those were all spent by Alicent wondering if she was foolish. If she was foolish to be upset. Her father's words and promise of Rhaenyra Targaryen killing Aegon to keep the throne to herself were always playing in her mind, reminding her that if Rhaenyra was capable of betraying her trust when they were younger, then surely she was capable of kinslaying.

Otto Hightower's false words ate away at his daughter's mind like plague to a starved child.

But, Alicent would stay her hand and her mouth from bringing up the fact that the child bore a striking resemblance to the Lord Commander of the City Watch-a certain Harwin Strong, Rhaenyra's sworn protector. One child was a mistake, she had to tell herself. Perhaps not enough moon tea was to be found. She could bite her tongue.

And then came Jacaerys.

Brown hair and brown eyes, just like his older sister.

A boy! Viserys had been ecstatic when he visited his dear daughter once she was well enough. The princess had smiled sweetly, shared a look with Laenor Velaryon, and told her father about how the married couple adored their newest child. Viserys claimed that the Iron Throne would pass to Shaera and Driftmark to Jacaerys. He threw a feast to celebrate the newest addition to the family.

All the while, Alicent stabbed the leafy vegetables on her plate with extra fervor, sneering as everyone simply ignored the glaring issue with Rhaenyra's children. Baratheon in them or not, two out of two had dark hair-Shaera's was growing curly already-and even darker eyes? Just like Ser Harwin?

When she confided in Ser Criston that night, he reassured her that she was not going mad. That Rhaenyra Targaryen was a whore-she swiftly reminded him that Rhaenyra was still the princess, to which he apologized-that she had her cake and she ate it too, expecting everyone to be okay with it.