Two: To Tango With A Vampire

First Draft

Rowan's POV

My brother showed up in the nick of time, allowing me a quick look at Fiona. As she cradled her wounded friend, I marveled at the glossy black hair cascading over her shoulder. Although shocked, I knew who she was the moment I saw her. I could smell her essence across the bar. The heady scent of jasmine, lilac, earth, and musk affirmed the fact. However, it was odd that she appeared human-a mundane as we called them. Regardless, she was my fated mate and would leave with me tonight after we defeated the vampire.

Now that I'd finally found my luna, I refused to let her die. A blood-curdling scream interrupted my thoughts, and I turned in time to see the blood-sucker had slammed my brother, Rian, to the concrete.

"I could use a hand!" he yelled.

I grabbed the beast by the back of his jacket with all my human force. Tempering my body's urge to shift into werewolf form, I ran him toward the brick of the building and heard him snarl. He tried to turn, but our momentum was too fast. Fiona screamed from the sickening thud of his face hitting upon impact. I tried my best to ignore her. Once I pulled the vampire off Rian, he ran to the girls so I could focus on the enemy.

The bloodthirsty demon slid down the wall face first, falling with a grunt. From experience, I knew he wouldn't stay down for long.

"Need a hand?" Rian asked, jogging toward me. "The dark-haired beauty will be fine, but I hope you rescued her friend in time."

Hearing my brother call Fiona a 'beauty' caused my inner werewolf to growl with frustration. I had to take deep breaths to calm the beast within. The last thing I needed was to shift in front of Fiona in the middle of Dublin. "I've got this. Take the girls to the car and I'll meet up with you when I finish him."

"What?" Rian asked, perplexed. "Have you gone mad? Why would I take them to our car?"

Before I could answer, the nocturnal predator was on his feet, charging at us. "Rowan!" Fiona screamed.

As alpha of our pack, I narrowed my eyes and said, "Get the girls out of here now, Rian."

Rian understood my look and icy tone. He turned with remarkable speed and kicked the monster in the chest. "Aye, he's all yours."

I stood in the dark, narrow alleyway, facing off against my opponent. He was a vampire, with pale skin and dark, piercing eyes. I was a werewolf in human form.

The bloody-faced creature lunged forward, his speed and agility surprising me. But I was quick to react, dodging his attack and launching my own. I swung my fist, connecting with his jaw and sending him stumbling back. He let out a low growl and pounced at me again. This time, I was ready, and I blocked his fist with my arm.

We fought back and forth, exchanging blows and dodging each other's attacks. The vampire's strength was formidable, but I was faster and more agile. I could feel the adrenaline pumping through my veins, and I knew I had to finish this fight fast.

The predator swung his arm, but I was too swift for him and I sidestepped, landing a punch to his gut. He doubled over and I delivered a kick to his face. He went down hard, and I saw he was dazed.

My thoughts returned to Fiona before booting him once more in the ribs, leaving him howling in pain. "We'll meet again, bastard. And next time you won't be so lucky.

He looked up from his fetal position and whispered, "Who are you?"

I smiled down at him, my green irises turning a bright golden amber. "Your worst nightmare."