"Stay awake for me," Peter says. Cady sees the fleeting passing of a certain brunet and barely catches the way his jaw drops open at the sight of her, drenched from head to toe with legs twisted in a horribly wrong angle.

"Oh goodness." Cady hears the faraway voice of Doctor Cornelius. "You stupid girl, I told you that you shouldn't stay in the water for too long. Get her inside the room, quickly."

Cady feels herself being rested on a cot and curls into herself instinctively, wrapping herself into a self hug. She reeks of magic, of blood and nature and salt.

"What happened?" Edmund's furious voice demands from the doorway.

"Cadence! You never listen to me!" The doctor crouches down to press a rag to her forehead, dabbing away the sweat from her face. "Your mother didn't tell you anything, did she?"

Caspian bursts into the room, pushing past Peter and Edmund, and pales at the sight of Cady's body curled up on the bed. "Doctor? What is it?"

"It's all in her genetics, oh, for Aslan's sake," Doctor Cornelius blurts out. "When you didn't show the signs, I assumed that the gene didn't pass on. But I should've known, oh you poor girl."

All of a sudden, the bones in her legs snap and crack, causing an unnatural guttural scream to burst from Cady's lips.

Hands are clutching at her, grabbing at her thrashing limbs in an attempt to keep her still. "Your Majesties, keep her still!" Doctor Cornelius begins shouting orders. "Caspian, I need you to go to my bag, there is a golden bottle, small and smells like salt. Get that and the leather notebook! Hurry, my boy!"

Cady looks up and sees Caspian bolt out the room before she lets out another yell, sending Lucy and Susan running in. The younger girl crouches down and pulls out her cordial. "This should help."

Doctor Cornelius holds out a hand to stop her from getting closer to Cady. "Your Majesty, this is something that cannot be reversed by the fire flower." The blonde then lets out a furious snarl and bares her teeth, causing Lucy to jump back in surprise and into Susan's arms. Cady lets out a cry when the sides of her legs snap, making the side seams of her pants rip to show skin.

"Doctor." Caspian returns with a gold vail and a book with a clear blue jewel embedded on the leather cover. "I hope you have a good explanation for this."

"Someone close the door please," the doctor says calmly, pulling a stool to sit beside the cot Cady is curled up in. Cady arches her neck back in a silent scream and is immediately pushed back down in the cot. The urge to defend herself intensifies and she thrashes under the hands holding her down. She twists her head around and snarls into someone's face, causing them to step back. But still, they don't let go of her.

Cady hears the wooden door close with a click and she gasps, choking on air. The doctor flips through the pages of his notebook furiously as Caspian peers over his shoulder to read. "That's Mother's handwriting! Where did you get this?" He demands, stabbing a finger on the paper.

"Lorelei gave me the book in case anything like this happens, I never thought–Oh, poor girl," the doctor replies, his hands shaking as he taps his finger to a page. "Here!" His eyes read through the words speedily before he snaps the book shut and pulls Caspian's dagger out from his belt.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing!" Edmund moves forward with a shout. Cady watches his approach intently, teeth bared in attack as she tries to arch forward.

The doctor ignores him and carves out the blue jewel from the front cover, the jagged sapphire dropping into his palm. He mutters something incoherent to the stone and it burns up into an intense glow, the room lights up from the jewel and Cady lets out another cry as she feels another bone crack, the pain worsening. Something sharp digs into her bottom lip and Cady feels like she is about to die.