Chapter 20 - Our Final Farewell

Start from the beginning

I ran to the shore, away from where the rest of the crew was and I crouched down next to the water.

Gwen: "I can't believe this... after we- *sigh*"

I called Laboon over to me. He let out a happy chirp but frowned when he saw the angry look on my face.

Gwen: "Laboon... everyone's planning on leaving without us again. I overheard captain taking to Crocus. He's going to leave us here at Reverse Mountain."

He let out a small moan of sadness before I put my hand on his head.

Gwen: "Shhh, listen brother... Captain doesn't know I know yet. So I have a plan... Tonight we'll-"

Brook: "Scheming again?"

I flinched. Laboon's tail splashed, always happy to see Brook but I could barely look at anyone else. Without turning around, I sat with my legs crossed, staring into the water.

Brook: "That was an elaborate bit of mischief you concocted, YOHOHOHO! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed."

I didn't say anything. But I glanced up to see Laboon frowning at me, concerned.

Brook: "Gwen? Are you alright?"

When I stayed silent, he sat down next to me.

Brook: "Please talk to me, my little friend. What's wrong?"

Gwen: "You don't know?"

Brook: "Know what?"

Gwen: "That you and the captain and everyone are planning to leave Laboon and me here..."

Laboon squeaked to say he was upset about it too.

Brook: "Ah... yes, I... I did hear about that. I just didn't think you-"

Gwen: "I heard the captain talking to Crocus about it..."

Brook: "*sigh* Gwen, you know why we tell you not to eavesdrop."

Gwen: "...... Because I could hear something that might upset me..."

Brook: "That's right. And this proves that, doesn't it?"

I wrapped my arms around myself as tears filled my eyes and started falling down my cheeks.

Gwen: "I just... I just don't want to be alone..."

Brook: "Gwen..."

Gwen: "And I know I'll have Laboon... but he feels the... the same way."

Laboon moaned in agreement. Brook picked me up and hugged me in his lap.

Brook: "You're too small to handle the dangers ahead. We don't want anything to happen to you."

Gwen: "Please don't leave us behind... We're Rumbar Pirates too..."

Brook: "Of course you are. You're brave and smart, we all know that. Captain does too. I would take you along if I could, but... I'll tell you a secret... Things have been relatively easy so far."

I wiped my eyes.

Gwen: "Easy?"

Brook: "Yes. Childs play compared to what we're getting ourselves into now. We have no idea what kind of threats we might encounter. And if something bad happened to you or Laboon because we carelessly decided to bring you with us ... If you got seriously hurt... or died, then... then we wouldn't be able to live with ourselves!"