Chapter 18 - The Opportune Moment

Beginne am Anfang

I walked out into the water as far as I could, hoping by some fantasy I could go after them. My feet felt heavy against the sea floor, but I was too upset to care, I kept going.

Arito: "Please, Pip... just go back on land..."

While Laboon was still chasing after them and crying, I had gone out too far. The waves pushed me further and I started sinking.

Daisu: "Gwen's drowning! We gotta save her!"

Yorki: "Stop! Let Laboon get her..."

Everyone froze and turned to him.

Yorki: "They'll be okay... they still have each other, after all..."

Captain Yorki looked around at his crew, seeing them crying and struggling with the decision they're making.

"I can't take it anymore..." "It's too cruel..." "Please captain, she's one of us! Laboon too!" "We're all they have!"

Yorki: "Be strong, men-"

His voice cracked as he started tearing up too.

Yorki: "Sometimes... you have to make tough decisions like this... to protect the ones you truly care about..."

Gwen: "I love you, captain. I'm glad to be part of your crew."

Yorki: "*sniffle* Believe me... I wish it didn't have to be this way too..."

With the feeling of weights tied to my feet, my tears merging with the salty sea, as it tossed me around, I thought back on everything that lead up to this.........

Yorki: "I think it would be best if you and Laboon stay there until-"

Gwen: "LABOON AND I ARE GONNA GO FISHING!"

Yorki: "Gwen-!"

.........

Gwen: "The Rumbar Pirates are our friends. They wouldn't leave us behind."

Boy 2: "Don't say we didn't warn you."

.........

Brook: "The Grand Line is too dangerous for young children like you!"

Gwen: "Stop! We're not listening! We're not staying behind!"

I'm so stupid... I should have seen this coming...

Gwen: 'Don't go...'

Meanwhile, Laboon noticed what happened and dove after me, pulling me up to the surface and dragging me to the shallows. I sat up startled, coughing seawater, my blurred eyes slowly focusing as our ship shrank on the horizon.

Gwen: "Laboon *gasp*! Go after them! Don- *cough cough* Don't let them leave!"

He turned back and whimpered, realising they were too far out, and he didn't want to go far from me.

Gwen: "Don't go... Don't leave us alone..."

I couldn't take it. All I could do was sob and scream as Laboon wailed for them.

Gwen: "DON'T LEAVE US!! PLEEEASE!! BROOOK!! CAPTAAAIN!! AHHHHAHAAAA!!!"

Brook: "*sniffle* ... I'm sorry..."

.........Hours passed......... I sat in the shallows with my brother, stroking his head until our tear supply ran dry.

Elder: "Gwen, Laboon?"