Chapter 8 - Tracked Down

Start from the beginning

The ship reached the shore and several officers jumped off and ran after me.

Squad B Leader: "And us, captain?"

Segawa: "Line up. Shoot to wound if necessary, but remember, I want her alive."

Squad B Leader: "Understood. SQUAD B, LINE UP!"

Meanwhile, I managed to find a temporary hiding place with my head start, giving me time to think.

Gwen: 'This jungle island is huge. And I have no idea where my crew are. I can't call out to them, or the officers would find me in two seconds. Come on, Gwen... think!'

Squad A: "Find her!" "She's small, so be thorough!" "Look in the trees!"

Squad A Leader: "Come on, you dolts! She's a little girl with red hair wearing blue! She can't be that hard to find in a jungle!"

Gwen: 'He's right. I don't exactly stick into the environment... And... knowing the marines, they've probably got our ship locked down by now. No chances of going back there.'

Squad A: "I found her! She's up in that tree!" "That's a bird, you idiot! Use your eyes next time!"

Gwen: 'The two ships are on the south side. Which means it's probably safest on the north side. But it's too risky for me to cut straight through the jungle.'

I closed my eyes and listened closely to the sounds of the marines running through the jungle.

Gwen: 'I hear more commotion to the west than to the east.'

I smiled as I thought up a plan.

Gwen: 'They're focused on the inland. If I sneak to the east side, then I can run along the beach to the north. Hopefully, I'll find my crew somewhere up there too.'

I stayed low and quiet as I headed for the east beach. I was crouched so low to the ground, I might as well have been crawling. I kept going, only stopping and holding my breath every time I heard a marine pass. Until finally I made it to the beach, but it was not what I expected at all.

Squad B: "There you are, E.C!"

Gwen: "What the hell?!!"

I looked up and down the beach to see what looked like at least a few hundred marines lined up along the perimeter of the island.

Gwen: "So in addition to the dumbass squad Sea Cow sent in the jungle after me, he brought enough men to surround this whole island?! Are you all crazy?!"

A couple pointed their guns at me, which gave me my answer.

Squad B Leader: "Stay right there, kid! Captain Segawa has given us permission to shoot you! So don't move!"

I called their bluff.

Gwen: "Ha! Even you bastards wouldn't shoot a kid!"

I turned and tried to run back into the jungle, but that was a big mistake.

Squad B Leader: "You're not just some kid though... Shoot to wound!"

I screamed and stumbled as someone shot my right shoulder. But I swallowed the pain and kept running, clutching my arm to my side.

"We're trying to get her to stop, idiot! Like this!"

Another shot fired. This time, my left leg was hit, and I fell to the ground, screaming in pain and frustration.