Chapter 7 - A Special Bond

Start from the beginning

Gwen: "So, come to take me from my crew? Fat chance. I may not look it, but I've got some fight in me! HA!"

I charged forward to attack the ship, but Laboon and I go a fright when my stick sword immediately snapped.

Gwen: "Aheh... Maybe I should just practice with an invisible target."

Laboon nodded, but we couldn't help but laugh at what just happened. I headed back to the jungle to find another suitable stick.

Gwen: "I'm sure they'll let me have a real sword one day, but until then, I'll just work with what I got."

I stood on the beach a little further from the sea, so I had plenty of swinging space.

Gwen: "In order for this to be a fruitful training session, I need to picture like I'm fighting my worst enemy."

I thought for a second and visualised him right in front of me, ready to fight.

Gwen: "Sea Cow... that jerk face who's trying to take me to Impel Down. I won't let you!"

I charged in to battle the imaginary marine captain while Laboon was watching me, in awe at my moves. I practiced for a long time, and the crew still hadn't retuned.

Gwen: "It's been hours... I'm getting worried."

Laboon swam up behind me as I sat on the beach facing the inland jungle.

Gwen: "It's so quiet in there... I hope they're alright."

Suddenly, I got a fright as water was sprayed on my back.

Gwen: "AAH- Laboon!"

I stood up and spun around as Laboon squeaked at me like he was laughing.

Gwen: "Hey, what was that for?"

He smacked the surface of the water with his tail, getting me wet again.

Gwen: "Hey, cut it out, haha that's cold!"

He splashed me again and swam out a little. Turning back smiling with his tail swishing back and forth.

Gwen: "Oh I see... Alright, then! You're on!"

I ran into the water a few inches above my ankles and splashed my little big friend. Even if it made me a target for the marines, I was grateful for my seawater immunity. It meant I could splash and play with my friend. I couldn't go out further than up to my waist as the waves were stronger than me out there.

Gwen: "Hey, come back, cheeky! I can't go out that far!"

He swam back closer to me.

Gwen: "Gotcha!"

I cupped seawater in my hands, and he chirped happily as I threw it over him.

Gwen: "Haha, you like it don't you, boy. I guess picking a water fight with a whale wasn't the smartest option."

I was in the water up to my waist, battling the current pushing me around, my feet sinking into the sand as the tide pulled in and out, in and out.

Gwen: "It's kinda- woah!- wobbly out here!"

It was at this point that Laboon might have forgotten that his playmate was quite a lot smaller than him. Although he's younger than me, I'm a human and he's a whale.

Gwen: "Laboon, wait! You're too big- WAH!"

So when Laboon playfully, butted his nose against my body, I lost my balance and got carried away by the tidal current. Although seawater doesn't diminish my energy and strength like it does Brook and other devil fruit users, it still doesn't let me swim. Laboon, remembering this, quickly dove to fish me out. He resurfaced with me in his mouth, a bit like how a dog holds a stick. I spat up water and took a few deep breaths. He whimpered, feeling a little guilty.

Gwen: "It's okay, buddy. Not your fault I can't swim. But... just remember, that you're going to get much bigger and stronger than me."

I stroked his head and sighed, relaxing in his secure grip.

Gwen: "Hey, this feels familiar somehow... Have you held me like this before?"

He nodded, but my memory was a little foggy. Anyway, Laboon was still in a play-fighting mood, and he started gently nibbling on me. His teeth weren't very sharp, so it didn't hurt, but it did make me laugh.

Gwen: "Hahah, wait, Laboon! Ahahaha, stop, that tickles!"

He didn't stop as he swam around with me in his mouth.

Gwen: "Okay, ahaha, you win! You wihihihin!"

He stopped nibbling and chirped in triumph.

Gwen: "Come on, goofball. I gotta get back to the shallows."

For a while, I just sat in the shallow water in thought, watching my whale friend jump and play out in the sea.

Gwen: "Hmm... I think so... Hey, Laboon! I wanna talk to you about something."

He swam over and booped me with his big nose.

Gwen: "Heh, I love you too. But listen, this is serious."

He backed up a little to pay attention.

Gwen: "You and me. We're best friends, right?"

He smiled.

Gwen: "But even more than that! We're like family."

He squeaked happily, agreeing with me.

Gwen: "And I've been thinking... I don't want to lose that. I mean... what if we find your pod? You'd have to leave us."

He shook his head.

Gwen: "Yes, Laboon. I always want what's best for you, and if that means going with your family, with your mama... Then you'd have to."

He whimpered, but I stroked his head with a smiled.

Gwen: "Thus brings me to my point. You and me, we're family too. And no matter what happens to us, I want that to always be the same!"

He stared at me, curious as to what I was talking about.

Gwen: "Let's be brother and sister. We'll swear it, right here on this beach! Then, we'll always be connected, and nothing can break that."

He smiled in awe.

Gwen: "So what do you say? Will you let me be your big sister?"

He let out a confused chirp and did and up down glance at me.

Gwen: "Hm? Oh, haha! I know I'm smaller than you, but it's determined by age, not size."

I giggled as he nuzzled me with enthusiasm.

Gwen: "Ahaha, is that a yes? Okay then! Let's see, how to do this though...? I know a common way is to drink sake together... But I'm a kid, and you're a whale... so let's not do that."

He looked at me in slight confusion, not knowing what I meant.

Gwen: "Never mind that... Oh! What about a blood pact?!"

He recoiled at that idea.

Gwen: "No? Too scary?... That's fair actually... Then how about... just a promise?"

He smiled and nodded.

Gwen: "Yeah? Okay!"

I placed my hand on his head.

Gwen: "With the sea as our witness, no matter where we go, no matter what we do, whether we're together or apart, I, Eternal Child Gwen, and you, Laboon the whale, from this point forward, are now siblings!"

I smiled as he squeaked at me in excitement.

Gwen: "It's official! We're brother and sister! Family, now and forever!"

I hugged him and giggled as he nuzzled me, chirping.

Gwen: "I can't wait to tell the rest of the crew!"