Chapter 6 - The Rumbar Policy

Start from the beginning

Gwen: "Kay."

He got in his bed. After a while I heard captain's snoring, but I still couldn't sleep. So I silently got out of bed, crept over to the door, and left, grabbing my coat on the way out. I heaved a sigh as I shut the door and put my coat on. I turned as I heard Laboon sing and saw Brook on watch with our big little friend swimming along beside him.

Brook: "Shh, you have to be quiet Laboon, you're going to wake everyone up. Just be patient and wait for the morning. We'll all sing together then."

I sat on the stairs and silently stared up at the stars, thinking back on the day.

Gwen: 'I wonder how much of today would have been different... if I was stronger... or older even.'

The sea winds were cold tonight, and I felt a chill run up my spine.

Gwen: "ASHOO! Mmf-!"

I covered my mouth as Brook turned and noticed me sitting on the stairs behind him.

Brook: "Gwen?"

Gwen: "Uhm- no?"

Brook: "Yohoho, what're you doing out here?"

Gwen: "...... Don't tell captain..."

Brook: "You're secret safe. Come, sit with us."

I walked over to him and put my arms up, letting him lift me up on his lap. I glanced down at Laboon smiling up at me.

Gwen: "Hey, buddy."

He squeaked and did a spin.

Gwen: "I'll play with you tomorrow, promise."

He nodded as I shivered with a little sniffle.

Brook: "It is a little cold tonight, isn't it?"

I nodded, wrapping my coat tight around me like a blanket.

Brook: "We need to pass through a winter area to get to where we're going next."

Gwen: "How do we know where we're going? And without getting lost."

Brook: "That's up to the Captain and Navigator. They're both very skilled I assure you."

Gwen: "...You're really skilled too, Brook."

Brook: "Hm?"

Gwen: "When you were fighting today. You're so cool."

Brook: "Yohohoho, well shucks."

I pulled my knees up to my chest and rested my chin on my arms with a frown.

Brook: "Why so down?"

Gwen: "... Brook... could you... teach me how to fight?"

Brook: "Wh-what?"

Gwen: "I want to be strong and brave like you..."

I looked up at him with pleading eyes.

Gwen: "Please teach me to use a sword."

Brook: "Woah, slow down. First tell me where this is coming from. Why the sudden urge?"

Gwen: "Well... I'm a pirate now... and... pirates know how to fight."

I tried to give him a roundabout reason.