New Beginnings

Hogwarts had taking time being rebuilt, it was a year before they were able to take their eight year classes.

"So, what do you plan on doing now that albus isn't breathing down your neck?." Harry asked, he was walking along with Snape on the path next to the castle, the trees were blooming brightly colored flowers, everything seemed perfectly well. Snape was quiet for a moment then he looked up at the half-rebuilt castle as an answer. He wasn't speaking, he had been taking speech therapy for only a few weeks so not much came out right other than a few words.

"Really? Teaching here? I thought you'd want to leave..." Harry picked at a blossom he picked up. "It is... my only home.." Snape said gruffly and swallowed harshly like it hurt. "Harry!" A voice called, a familiar one at that. Harry looked over his shoulder to see the slender blond boy running at him holding something. "THI-" he began but face planted after tripping on a stone.

Severus was so shocked he let out a "Ha!-" and covered his mouth. Harry panicked and ran over. Draco looked up, bloody in the face. "Oh... oh goodness..." Harry gritted his teeth in sympathy, "are you alright?" Harry reached out to help him up. "This... is for you." Draco handed him a paper and rubbed blood off onto his sleeve, it didn't make a difference, it just smeared it further onto his cheek.

"Oh... thank... you...?" Harry took it awkwardly. Draco bounced a bit and ran off in a frantic manner like he wasn't supposed to be talking to him. Severus did his strange heel-rocking motion due to feeling out of place. Harry walked over muttering and trying to open the envelope, he paused and looked up noticing where Snape's wandering gaze had fell; Remus, who's face was badly scarred, he was missing a bit of his nose and was blinded in his right eye, in a way he looked a bit like Moody did.

But despite his appearance he was cheerful as ever, perhaps that's why Snape was so fascinated by him. Or perhaps... another reason, Harry thought fondly. Snape started forward suddenly like he was being drawn over, Remus looked over quickly and smiled softly. "Severus, you look well." He said lightly. Severus paused like he just now realized where he was, and his face dusted pink, "oh..." he nodded, "y-es"he croaked and coughed. "How's your..." Remus sensitively gestured to his throat. "Better..." Severus whispered still with a bubbly look of wonder in his eyes, it made Remus feel lighter to know Severus really was doing better, mentally and physically.

He even looked it too, hair softer and curlier, eyes brighter and less exhausted. Yet his struggle with eye contact remained. "You have nothing to be sorry about," Remus assured, "if that's the reason your not looking at me... or perhaps it's my fault?" Remus asked sincerely. Severus shook his head quickly as a 'no'. "Ok then... well, the Weasley's are throwing a wedding for Hermione and Ron, they said I should invite you... so if you'd like to...go with me?" He said in a shy manner, Severus perked up instantly and ceased his heel bouncing almost instantly. He nodded and cracked a small smile.

He was finally being treated like a human being.