11 | Lumpy Toadstools and Fondant Flowers

Começar do início

"Pfft, plebeians the lot of you." I paused and then added, "I was looking forward to the decorating part anyway."

Everett smiled so bright that it eclipsed the sun. His slight overbite was pressing into his bottom lip in a way I found adorable now. It was infectious; I soon felt myself smiling too.

We made the fondant while the cupcakes baked in the oven. I had finally managed to convince Everett that we wouldn't have enough batter for a hundred if he filled it too much. He only agreed, I think, because he was worried he wouldn't be able to make any extra for himself.

It was so relaxed now, as we joked and laughed, that I wondered whether I had perhaps just imagined all the tension earlier.

The oven timer went off and Everett opened it. I hurriedly shoved him aside before he could reach in with a toothpick.

"Get an oven mitt!"

"I wasn't going to touch the hot part, I'm not an idiot." He sounded offended. "I'm just gonna poke it a little."

"It's still better to be safe," I said, "And we'll anyway have to take the tray out now."

I found a mitt and removed the tray, placing it on the countertop. Everett stabbed it unnecessarily violently with a toothpick, messing up the shape as he pulled it out at an angle.

"Woah it's perfectly done!" he exclaimed, "In like the exact amount of time the recipe said. You genius, Clementine, you."

"Why, thank you." I grinned, doing a little bow as I got us each a piping bag.

Everett started squeezing horrible little lumps on top of the cupcakes. He had already finished five before I could say anything.

"Those are nice," he said, peering over my shoulder at the first cupcake I was still working on, "Mine all look like squirrel poop."

I laughed at the fitting description. They actually did, now that I come to think of it.

"You've got to take your time and make the spiral," I said, "Change the pressure on the piping bag slowly, according to the shape."

Everett looked like he was trying really hard to concentrate on icing the next cupcake. The tip of his tongue even peeked out of the corner of his pouty lips.

What he created still ended up looking like a mound of dirt, unfortunately.

"It's okay for some of them to look ugly," he defended as soon as he saw me staring at it, "Not everything in life can be perfect all the time Clementine."

"But it's for an order."

Everett huffed. "Fine. We can just eat all the ugly ones."

"But then you'll just make everything ugly on purpose."

"You know me so well," he admitted, matching my grin.

Everett made more colours of fondant while I iced the rest of the cupcakes. I couldn't stop staring at him while he experimented with molding out some decorations.

The flowers he made looked like lumps of coloured crap. The rainbow deco he tried out all congealed into a colour that resembled barf.

His face and T-shirt both gradually got messier and messier. He seemed to have a new colour of fondant on his cheeks every time I glanced at him.

And I was glancing at him a lot.

Everett made a lumpy looking toadstool and held it up with a dazzling beam. My heart flipped a frightening number of times, beating so hard that I was afraid he would hear it.

But it's not like he realizes what that smile does to me. I don't think he even noticed. Perhaps I had wanted to kiss him earlier, but it's not like that meant anything. It's not like we were dating.

It's not like I was in love with him.

Like if you think Clementine totally IS in love xP

Comment whether your decorating skills are closer to Clem's or on par with Everett's lumpy flowers :p

I made this picrew of Everett with fondant on his face :)
also I imagine he likes frogs c:

________
Reading lots of onc books? You might enjoy this story by AJ_Ortega

A lonely boy named Angelio encounters a gateway in the forest to the enchanted world of Realania; there, he's promised a solution to his problem in the human world--but all is not what it seems.