Chapter 38: Defeat

Start from the beginning

Jungkook walks closer to her and reached for her shoulders.

"You must be tired," he tried to sway her away from her thoughts and conclusions.

Ella stood her ground.

"Why did you offer marriage when you loved her? Am I a game to you?" She asked, hurt evident in her tone.

Jungkook cups her face.

"I know that mareiage for people like us is business and not love. I was wrong about you. I thought we would be different. Of all the women here in your kingdom you wish to covet the king's woman. I will not proceed with this marriage,"

"No, you got it all wrong. Please listen to me,"

"All I did was listen to you your highness. I know I am not in the right position to break off this engagement but I refuse to enter a marriage and be one of those women who suffer because love is absent. I want to leave first thing in the morning," Ella calmly walked away leaving Jungkook in defeat. Ella with teary eyes, didn't look back. She knew her place and it was nowhere near the prince's heart.

He let her walk away.

As always.

Jungkook released a heavy sigh.

"Why?" Heeseung walked to his brother

"Why?" Heeseung walked to his brother. Hands shoved into his pockets.

He knew he wasn't suppose to be there eavesdropping but he was suppose to give Jungkook duty orders for tomorrow when he heard their coversation.

Jungkook turns around to see his brother's disappointed face.

"Why of all people do you want her?" Heeseung walks closer.

He doesn't really know if he's angry or not. All he wants to know is why does his brother chose to love and want you.

Jungkook looks down at the floor.

His mind is in overload.

From Jimin wanting to marry you, to realizing that the king kissed you, Ella breaking off the engagement and now his brother questioning him.

"The king intends to marry her you know that right?" Heeseung pressed.

"I know," Jungkook answers.

"I backed off because I knew that. I knew my place. I don't want to direspect you but what you did to Ella and Y/n is fucked up. You better let her be happy with the king than suffer with you," Heeseung walks away so disappointed at his brother.

Jungkook walks away to the other direction. Fury and hurt mixee in his head. Jungkook backed off too. He did his part too. No one will ever know how difficult it is for him. He was wrong at involving Ella in this.

Surely he doesn't want to hurt you. He does want you by his side but the damage has already been done. And it seemed like you already accepted the king. By the looks of it, you and the king will get married and he intends to do anything to make it right.

Hopefully, get you back.

But then......

Heeseung's words struck him.

He backed off because he knew his place yet Jungkook had the chance. Taehyung gave everyone a chance. But no one really stepped up for you.

Jungkook realized it and it made him feel all the more defeated.

Taehyung patiently waited for everyone to make their own choices and decisions. He never forced anyone nor used his position to pressure anyone.

He now realizes why Taehyung became the king. Not only because he is the first born but because he knew when to move and where to hit. At the right time, at the right place, without using his position as their king.

Everyone had a fair shot.

Of all the battles Jungkook has been into and won, this battle is the hardest. It is his first defeat.

Taehyung won

Fair and square

Jungkook is defeated.

•••

Edited